Government relations & higher education policy
The University of Sydney, as a major publicly-funded institution, maintains important relationships with government.
In a complex and ever-changing regulatory environment it is vital that we have a strong capacity to anticipate and respond to changes in government policy.
The federal government has a comprehensive policy framework for education and research that provides the context for our core research and teaching activities. We also engage with the NSW government across a wide range of issues, as well as with local government in the communities that we serve.
This section of our website provides access to the University's submissions to government and parliamentary enquiries and policy reviews since January 2009. You can also find links to other sites that contain useful information about Australia's higher education sector.
Activities relating to government relations and higher education policy are led by members of the Vice-Chancellor's Office.
- David Cross (Advisor, Government Relations) provides advice on the University's government relations strategy and engages with government in a manner that advances the University's strategic interests.
Higher Education Policy & Projects
- Tim Payne (Director, Higher Education Policy & Projects) provides advice to members of the University’s senior management team and staff on developments in the external policy environment, coordinates policy input to government, and enhances levels of communication about external developments in policy and funding relevant to the University's operations.
- Leah Schwartz (Executive Officer, Higher Education Policy) supports the Director, Higher Education Policy & Projects in providing policy advice to the University’s senior management team and in coordinating policy input to government and peak bodies. In addition, she supports senior management on a number of strategic University-wide projects.
- Universities Australia
- Group of Eight
- Department of Education
- Department of Education - Higher Education Research
- Department of Industry
- The Australian Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA)
- The Australian Research Council (ARC)
- The National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)
- Cooperative Reserch Centres Association
- National Commission of Audit
- Review of the Demand Driven Funding System
- Defence Trade Controls Act 2012 Implementation
- Senate Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade Committee: ongoing review of the implementation of the Defence Trade Controls Act 2012
- The Higher Education Base Funding Review 2011
- The Bradley Review of Higher Education 2008
- The Cutler Review of the National Innovation System 2008