Q. and A. about Deferment of Enrolment (UAC Offers)

From students applying to defer

What are the conditions attached to deferment?
You must not undertake any other tertiary study during your deferment and, if you defer a Conservatorium of Music course, you must maintain a satisfactory level of performance during your deferment.

Am I guaranteed re-admission to my deferred course?
Yes, except for the rare occasion in which the University ceases to admit any new students to a course. This may occur when two courses are amalgamated, for example. Should this happen to you, the University will notify you and offer you a deferment in the most appropriate alternative course.

For how long can I defer my place at uni?
The standard period of deferment is one year. It may be possible to gain a further deferment under certain circumstances. See 'Can I extend my current deferment?' elsewhere on this page.

I'd like to commence my course in the second (July) semester. Is that possible?
Only if your course is open to commencing students in the July semester. There will normally be a number of courses in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, the Faculty of Science and the School of Business that will be open for new student admission in the July semester. If your deferred course is one of these, you can claim your deferment (by applying through UAC Mid-Year) and commence university in the July semester. The University lists these courses when UAC Mid-Year applications open in early April.

I deferred my Main Round offer, now I have received a Late Round offer. May I also defer that offer?
Yes, but in doing so, you automatically abandon your Main Round deferment. You can only hold a deferment for one University of Sydney course. You can hold deferments from other universities without affecting your University of Sydney deferment.

Looking ahead, how do I claim my deferment next year?
The University will remind you by email in August that you will need to apply (again) through UAC to claim your deferred place. You receive another UAC offer in January next year and enrol.

If I'm deferring, do I accept my UAC offer? Do I also enrol?
At the University of Sydney, you accept your offer by either enrolling or deferring. There is no separate acceptance procedure. If you are applying for deferment, you do not enrol. If you change your mind shortly after either deferring or enrolling, you may still be able enrol or defer (as the case maybe). Contact the Admissions Office.

Having deferred, what do I do with my UAC offer letter?
You should retain it for your records.

I have further questions about deferment, who can I talk to?
The , 02 8627 8210.

From students returning after deferment

I was granted a deferment in January, what happens next?
The University will send email reminder notices to all deferees in late July. These notices tell you how to go about claiming your deferred place and commencing your course in 2014.

How do I claim my deferred place?
You claim your deferred place by making a new online application for admission through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) in August/September.

I'm currently overseas. Do I need to have a family member in Australia apply for me?
You can apply from anywhere in the world, as long as you have an internet connection and a credit card.

Do I get another UAC offer?
Yes, you will receive a new UAC offer for your deferred course (if that is your first (effective) preference) in the Main Round of UAC offers in January 2014. You will again be invited to accept your offer by enrolling with the University in late January 2014.

Do I need a new UAC Guide?
All UAC applicants should have a current edition of the UAC Guide. The 2014 UAC Guide will be available for purchase at major newsagents across Australia from August 2013. You can also order a Guide for postal delivery from UAC publications. The Guide contains information that will assist you with your application and admission in 2014.

Do I need to enter course preferences for other courses if my sole intention is to take up my deferment?
It is quite acceptable for you to record a single course preference on your UAC application.

At this stage I haven't decided whether I will return to university next year, either to my deferred course or any other course. What is my best course of action?
The University would recommend you apply for your deferred course (as a minimum), and consider your options by attending the University Info Day on Friday 3 January, 2014. Even if you receive an offer of admission, you are not obliged to accept it.

If I do apply for new courses, am I competing with new school-leavers?
Yes, if you were a school-leaver in 2012, you will be competing with 2013 school-leavers for admission for the new courses (if you choose them in your UAC application) on the basis of your 2012 ATAR (or equivalent).

Can I extend my current deferment?
No. However you can apply for a further deferment. You will need to reapply through UAC, receive your offer in January, and then apply for a deferment. You should be aware that you will not be automatically entitled to a deferment as are current-year school-leavers. You will need to use the deferment application form and explain your reasons for seeking a further deferment.

If I put a new course as my first preference, and my deferred course as preference 2 (or lower), will I still get my deferred course if I'm unsuccessful with my new course/s?
Yes. Your deferred course will always generate an offer (in the UAC Main Round of offers) if you have been unsuccessful with your higher preferences.

If I receive an offer to a new course in the Main Round, can I then claim my deferred place in a later offer round, if I've changed my mind?
Possibly. The risk is that your deferred course has been over-subscribed by Main round acceptances and the University cannot make further offers to that course in later rounds. This is unusual, but it has been known to happen. You cannot therefore be guaranteed an offer for your deferred course in UAC offer rounds after the Main Round.

My UAC number from last year doesn't work when I apply?
You must apply as a non-school-leaver when you commence your new UAC online application. You will be given a new UAC number. At some point in the application process, you will need to enter your old UAC number when you indicate that you hold a deferment.

I have further questions about deferment, who can I talk to?
The , 02 8627 8210.