Once you have been accepted by the host university, you will most likely be very excited and eager to get going. Before you leave, there are a large number of matters you must attend to.
- registering your intended travel on Smartraveller.gov.au and reading travel advice about studying overseas;
- purchasing your airline ticket;
- making sure you have a current passport which will not expire while you are away;
- applying for your student visa;
- organising your finances;
- reading your requirements for travel insurance and organising additional travel and health insurance if the University's cover is insufficient;
- getting required vaccinations;
- making sure you have your accommodation settled (both temporary and permanent);
- reading up on your destination - the country, city and host university;
- reading up on information about Australia for your ambassadorial opportunities while on exchange;
- brushing up on language skills (if required); and
- organising what to pack.
This is probably the best time to re-read the Exchange Evaluations from past exchange students kept in the Exchange Programs Resource Library at Sydney Abroad, Level 4, Jane Foss Russell Building, to make sure you glean tips for settling into your host university.
Shortly before your departure, you will be invited to attend a Predeparture Session. Predeparture Sessions are held in early June, for students departing on exchange in July semester and held in late September for students departing on exchange in March semester.
The Predeparture Session will cover practical and administrative information that you need to be aware of. There will also be an opportunity for you to meet with returned outbound exchange students and current inbound students from the same institution or country you will be going to, who will share some tips with you making the transition to your host university. You may reference the most recently published Predeparture Session presentation to assist you with your final preparations.