Our international strategy is guided by the University’s Strategic Plan 2011–2015, which states that “promoting the University’s position in the international academic community is fundamental to all that we do”.
The Strategic Plan emphasises the need to create more opportunities for students to engage in research and education outside Australia and develop as global citizens, and for overseas students to find an environment that values the contribution they can make.
It also calls for the prioritisation of international engagement on a regional basis to support the effective development of University-wide partnerships and networks.
Specific initiatives include:
- International exchange opportunities for students and international experience for staff.
- Implementation of the Second Language Project.
- Implementation of the project on Appointments for Overseas Academics to facilitate the appointment of staff also employed at an overseas university.
- Pursue new funding opportunities for international engagement and exchange.
- Focus our regional engagement efforts, with China, South East Asia and India as top priorities.
- Organise offshore and onshore academic forums, symposia, graduations and alumni receptions.
- Design an international media and communications program.
- Provide popular Chinese language and culture programs through The Confucius Institute .