Living off campus
Most University of Sydney students live off campus in private accommodation. There are many housing options available, so get to know what each type offers so you can make a good decision.
How do I find accommodation in Sydney?
- search the accommodation database, which is for currently enrolled students
- search external websites listed on the rental page
- contact real estate agencies, who will have the latest rental property listings (these will be full property rentals, not individual rooms).
Tips for searching
- Finding accommodation can take several weeks so start looking as early as you can.
- When you are inspecting places, allow yourself enough time to travel to see them.
- Call up a real estate agent or landlord and ask to inspect the property earlier than the advertised viewing time.
- Be ready to fill out an application on the spot if you like the place you see. You may need bank statements, pay slips or references, so have copies of these with you.
- Don't pay any money before inspecting a property. Read our information on making payments.
- Find out about your rights and responsibilities on the NSW government's Fair Trading website and access other resources on the Tenants NSW website.
- Remember you can always talk to us at Student Accommodation Services, and the Students' Representative Council and SUPRA can offer help if you have issues with your current housing.