If you are looking for private accommodation, you should never send any money to get accommodation before you reach Sydney, unless it is for University-owned or affiliated accommodation.
You should always view accommodation in person before paying a security deposit and if you have any concerns about an accommodation offer or payment, please contact the Accommodation Officer for advice.
- Never pay money through a funds transfer to someone you don’t know.
- Never pay deposits, give, or send money before you have viewed the accommodation, unless it is temporary accommodation (this is standard practice for hotels, motels, and hostels)
- Do not provide your bank account details to anyone
- Never sign a contract for accommodation you have not inspected
- Always get receipts for any money you pay relating to accommodation
- For more information on current scams and how to avoid them, see the NSW Fair Trading website.