Search for accommodation
As a University of Sydney student, you have exclusive access to our accommodation database which lists rental, share, full board and homestay accommodation options.
- For tips on searching the database, see database search tips.
- For more information on types of off-campus accommodation, visit our living off-campus pages, which give you information on renting, share housing and making payments.
- If you want to live on the campus, visit the housing on campus pages, and browse through the different options and costs for living on or very close to campus.
Before you start searching
Before you begin your search, you need to think about your priorities and budget.
Basic household costs include rent, utilities (like gas and electricity) and groceries. You should also factor in transport costs if you choose to live further away from campus.
Talk to your potential housemates about how they split utility bills and pay for household expenses so you know about all the costs you may have to pay.
To find out the cost of different types of accommodation, use our cost comparison guide and rental websites like Domain and Real Estate.
Share houses and rental properties in central Sydney are popular, particularly close to the Camperdown and Darlington campuses. While many students want to live within walking distance of University, it’s not always possible to find accommodation close by. The University campuses are close to public transport, so do consider places that are a little further away. You might prefer a quieter place away from the city, or a location near the beach.
Book temporary accommodation
We strongly advise you to book temporary accommodation before you arrive in Sydney, so you have somewhere to stay when you get here and while you search. See our short-term accommodation page for information about a range of options or see information about the University homestay program if you are an international student.
Please note: It is normal practice to pay a deposit for temporary accommodation in a hotel, hostel or guest house when you book.
Sydney has a wide variety of social scenes and activities. Think about what you like to do on weekends and which suburbs are convenient. For example, do you want to live in the inner city? Or do you want to be closer to the water to swim and surf? Read our Living in Sydney page to find out more about different areas, and the City of Sydney's What’s On site to search for events happening around Sydney.
University campuses are close to public transport. Regular buses go directly past the Camperdown and Darlington campuses. The closest train station is Redfern, which is a 7 to 10-minute walk from campus, or Central which is about a 15-minute walk or a short bus ride. Newtown and Macdonaldtown train stations are within a 30-minute walk.
Cumberland Campus (where the Faculty of Health Sciences is based) and Sydney College of the Arts are on many buses routes. The Conservatorium of Music and the Faculty of Dentistry are located in the city and close to bus and train transport from all parts of Sydney.
- If you are using buses, trains or ferries, go to 131500.com.au for timetables.
- If you are using the light rail (tram), which runs between Central Station and Lilyfield, visit metrolightrail.com.au.
- Check how to get to your campus and where it is located.
- Read or download maps of the campus.