PhD Award Sub-Committee
Terms of Reference
The PhD Award Sub-Committee advises the Graduate Studies Committee about resolutions, policy and procedures relating to the award of the degree of Doctor of Philosophy and takes decisions in accordance with the resolutions of the Senate and the Academic Board relating to the Examination Process for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy.
Terms of Reference
- To advise the Graduate Studies Committee on resolutions, policy and procedures relating to the award of the degree of Doctor of Philosophy and other higher degrees including professorial degrees.
- To take decisions in accordance with the Resolutions of the Senate and the Academic Board relating to the examination and award of the degree of Doctor of Philosophy and other research doctorates at the University of Sydney.
- To advise on the development of processes for the effective implementation of resolutions, policy and procedures relating to the examination and award of the degree of Doctor of Philosophy and other research doctorates.
- To provide regular reports on its activities under its terms of reference to the Graduate Studies Committee.
- To consider and report on any matter referred to it by the Academic Board, the Vice Chancellor or the Graduate Studies Committee.
Ex Officio Members
- the nominee of the Chair of the Graduate Studies Committee, who shall be chairperson
- the Chair of the Graduate Studies Committee or nominee
- six academic staff members appointed biennially by the Chair of the Academic Board on the nomination of the Chair of the Graduate Studies Committee
- the Sub-Committee may co-opt up to two members. Co-opted members may be selected from the members of the Academic Board or the wider University community or may express interest directly to the Chair of the Sub-Committee, but must have an interest and/or experience in issues considered by the Sub-Committee. The term of office of members co opted by the Sub-Committee shall be specified at the time of co option and such members shall have all rights and privileges of other members.
Frequency of Meetings
The Sub-Committee shall meet monthly.
A quorum for a meeting of the Sub-Committee shall be three (3) members.
Academic Board, 16 October 2002
Last revised, 9 December 2009
Committees Officer, Secretariat