Terms of Reference
The Admissions Committee advises the Academic Board and its committees about resolutions, policy and procedures relating to admissions to award courses at the University of Sydney.
Terms of Reference
- To advise the Academic Board on:
(a) resolutions, policy and procedures relating to all student admissions to the University; and
(b) issues relating to admissions not based solely on the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR).
- To make recommendations to the Academic Board, or, if deemed appropriate by the Admissions Committee to the Undergraduate Studies Committee and/or the Graduate Studies Committee, regarding:
(a) English language requirements for admission to award courses;
(b) recognition of institutions, programs and courses for the purposes of admission;
(c) approval of admissions criteria in addition to the ATAR;
(d) approval of preparatory programs of study in prior learning;
(e) approval of special admission schemes;
(f) confirmation of academic selection criteria for international students set by Deans; and
(g) University-wide Credit Transfer Policy for all coursework.
- To oversee and approve the publication of admissions advice.
- To exercise all reasonable means to provide and receive advice from the Senior Executive Group and its relevant subcommittees.
- To provide an annual report on its activities under its terms of reference to the Academic Board.
- To consider and report on any matter referred to it by the Academic Board, the Vice Chancellor, Academic Board committees or the Chair of the Academic Board.
Ex Officio Members
- the Chair of the Committee
- the Chair of the Academic Board, or nominee
- the Chairs of the Undergraduate Studies and Graduate Studies Committees
- the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Registrar)
- the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Academic Affairs)
- the Director, Student Centre, or nominee
- the Director, Student Recruitment, or nominee
- the Director, Admissions, or nominee
- the President of the Students' Representative Council, or nominee
- the President of the Sydney University Postgraduate Representative Association, or nominee
- Where possible, one undergraduate and one postgraduate student member of the Academic Board, appointed annually by the Academic Board on the advice of the Chair of the Academic Board;
- three Deans appointed annually by the Academic Board on the advice of the Chair of the Academic Board, or their nominees
- the Committee may co-opt up to four members. Co-opted members may be selected from the members of the Academic Board or the wider University community or may express interest directly to the Chair of the Committee, but must have an interest and/or experience in issues considered by the Committee. The term of office of members co opted by the Committee shall be specified at the time of co option and such members shall have all rights and privileges of other members.
Frequency of Meetings
The Committee shall meet at least five (5) time a year.
A quorum for a meeting of the Committee shall be four (4) members.
Academic Board, 16 October 2002
Revised: 15 November 2006, 9 December 2010, 14 April 2010, 6 December 2011, 21 May 2014.
Committees Officer, Secretariat.