Academic Board 25 March 2015
The Academic Board approved proposals to introduce, delete or amend the following courses:
- Faculty of Architecture, Design and Planning: the amendment of the Master of Interaction Design and Electronic Arts to add a 96 credit point Master of Interaction Design and Electronic Arts (Specialisation); and
- Faculty of Science: the introduction of the Master of Philosophy.
Reports from Faculties:
The Academic Board approved the following proposals:
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences: the amendment of the Master of Human Rights and Democratisation (Asia-Pacific); and
- Faculty of Dentistry: the amendment of the English language requirements for the Doctor of Dental Medicine.
The Academic Board:
- approved amendments to the Coursework Policy 2014 related to limits on credit and reduced volume of learning, enrolment restrictions, student academic progression and stages 2 and 3, change of residency, ATAR or equivalent secondary studies, tertiary studies of domestic applicants, Mature Age Applicants Scheme, deferment of offers, the definition of recent school leaver, approved preparation programs and special consideration for admission;
- approved an amendment to the Assessment Procedures 2011 related to aegrotat and posthumous awards; and
- endorsed the Academic Promotions Policy and Procedures 2015.
The Academic Board also:
- noted the overview of the Strategic Plan 2016-2020 presented by the Vice-Chancellor, the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Education) and the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research);
- approve the nomination of Dr Megan MacKenzie to membership of the Academic Board as a representative of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences;
- approved nominations to membership of the Academic Board’s standing committees for 2015;
- noted the reports from the Higher Education Policy unit on the Defence Trade Controls Amendment Bill, TEQSA, the Higher Education and Research Reform Bill 2014 and the Research Infrastructure Review;
- noted the report of the Vice-Chancellor on his recent meetings with the Federal Minister for Education, the Shadow Minister for Higher Education and the Deputy Leader of the Opposition;
- recommended that Senate approve the amendments to the Senate Resolutions relating to the Constitution of the Faculty of Dentistry;
- approved the revised English Language concordance tables;
- approved the application of existing GCE A levels Schedule to Singapore A levels;
- approved the revised assessment process for applicants presenting the Indian Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC) which entails the adoption of two schedules;
- noted that the Graduate Studies Committee has endorsed the use of the draft guidelines for HDR scholarship allocations at the Postgraduate Awards Sub-Committee meetings of 11 December 2014 and 9 April 2015 and that a final version of the guidelines would be submitted to the Academic Board meeting of 13 May 2015;
- noted the Academic Standards and Policy Committee’s report on its discussion of the Learning and Teaching Policy Framework Working Party;
- noted the Academic Standards and Policy Committee’s report on its discussion of the Professional Placement Policy Working Party;
- noted the Academic Standards and Policy Committee’s report on its discussion of the 2015 Guidelines for managing the Opt-Out process for lecture recordings in University-managed lecture theatres; and
- approved the membership of the 2015 Level D and Level E Central Promotions Committees.