Academic Board 29 June 2016
The Academic Board:
- received a proposal from the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences to delete the Master of Human Rights and Democratisation following a review of the program, with effect from 1 January 2017; and
- approved the introduction of streams in Internal Medicine and Pharmaceutical & Medical Device Development in the Master of Medicine, Master of Medicine (Advanced), Master of Science in Medicine, Master of Science in Medicine (Advanced), Graduate Diploma in Medicine, Graduate Diploma in Science in Medicine, Graduate Certificate in Medicine and Graduate Certificate in Science in Medicine, with effect from 1 January 2017.
Reports from Faculties
The Academic Board approved the following minor course amendments:
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences: the amendment of the admission requirements of the Master of Applied Linguistics and embedded programs; the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences – Honours Provisions 2014; the deletion of the World Religions major and merge majors in Biblical Studies and Hebrew (Classical); and the amendment of the resolutions of the Bachelor of Economics combined degrees to include the five majors offered by the School of Economics;
- University of Sydney Business School: the amendment of the Master of Commerce, Master of Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations, Master of International Business, Master of Logistics and Supply Chain Management, Master of Marketing, Master of Professional Accounting, Master of Transport Management and embedded programs;
- Faculty of Dentistry: the amendment of the Master of Philosophy;
- Faculty of Education and Social Work: the amendment of the Master of Learning Sciences and Technology (Professional);
- Faculty of Engineering and Information Technologies: the amendment of the Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical Engineering) stream; Master of Data Science; Master of Engineering, Master of Professional Engineering, Master of Health Technology Innovation; Master of Information Technology; Master of Information Technology Management; Master of Information Technology / Master of Information Technology Management; and Graduate Diploma in Computing;
- Faculty of Health Sciences: the amendment of the Bachelor of Applied Science (Diagnostic Radiography) Pass and Honours; Bachelor of Health Sciences; undergraduate elective units of study; and the Master of Diagnostic Radiography;
- Sydney Law School: the amendment of the Faculty of Law coursework assessment guidelines in the Resolutions of the Faculty of Law for Coursework Awards; and the table of units of study and Course Resolutions in the Juris Doctor;
- Sydney Medical School: the amendment of the English language requirements for admission to the Doctor of Medicine combined degree programs, including the Bachelor of Commerce and Doctor of Medicine, Bachelor of Economics and Doctor of Medicine, Bachelor of Music Studies and Doctor of Medicine, Bachelor of Science (Advanced) and Doctor of Medicine, and Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine; the Course Resolutions for the Doctor of Medicine; the amendment of the Master of Medicine (Clinical Epidemiology), Master of Science in Medicine (Clinical Epidemiology) and embedded programs; the amendment of the Master of Medicine (Sleep Medicine), Master of Medicine (Advanced) (Sleep Medicine), Master of Science in Medicine (Sleep Medicine) and Master of Science in Medicine (Advanced) (Sleep Medicine) and embedded programs; the amendment of the Master of Surgery (Breast Surgery) and embedded programs; and amendment of the Master of Philosophy;
- Sydney Nursing School: the amendment of the study pattern for the Bachelor of Nursing (Advanced Studies); and the amendment of the Master of Advanced Nursing Practice, Master of Cancer and Haematology Nursing, Master of Emergency Nursing, Master of Intensive Care Nursing, Master of Mental Health Nursing, Master of Primary Health Care Nursing and embedded programs;
- Faculty of Pharmacy: the amendment of the Master of Philosophy;
- Faculty of Veterinary Science: the amendment of the Bachelor of Veterinary Biology / Doctor of Veterinary Medicine and Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.
The Academic Board approved:
- amendments to the Coursework Policy 2014;
- amendments to the Learning and Teaching Policy 2015;
- amendments to the Assessment Procedures 2011;
- the introduction of the Learning and Teaching Procedures 2016; and
- in principle a proposal to amend the Thesis and Examination of Higher Degrees by Research Policy and Procedures;
with immediate effect.
The Academic Board also:
- discussed and approved the scope, Terms of Reference and timeline to conduct an external review of the Academic Board before the end of 2016;
- noted a presentation by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Education) and Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) on The University of Sydney Education and Research Innovation Week – 24-28 October 2016;
- noted an update on recent activity and upcoming action arising from the work of the Equity and Diversity working group;
- noted the General Report of the Chair, including an account of the NSW Committee of Chairs of Academic Boards meeting of 1 June 2016; the formation of Working Groups on Scholarships and Prizes and Simplification of Examinations; the University’s 2018 TEQSA re-registration; the University’s response to the Public Consultation on Transparency in Higher Education Admissions discussion paper from the Higher Education Standards Panel (HESP); and received a report on representation by the Chair of the Academic Board;
- noted the report of the student members of the Academic Board on Sexual Harassment Policy; Anonymous Marking; Simple Extensions; Special Consideration; the appointment of a New SUPRA Executive; and the Sydney College of the Arts; and
- endorsed a proposal from the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences to amend the faculty constitution, and recommended that Senate approve the amendment of the Resolutions of Senate related to the Constitution of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, with immediate effect.