Academic Board 19 February 2014
The Academic Board approved proposals to introduce, delete or amend the following courses:
- Faculty of Architecture, Design and Planning: the introduction of the Bachelor of Architecture and Environments, Bachelor of Architecture and Environments (Honours). Master of Architectural Science, Graduate Diploma in Architectural Science, Graduate Certificate in Architectural Science, Master of Urbanism and Graduate Diploma in Urbanism, and the deletion of the Master of Design Science, Graduate Diploma in Design Science, Graduate Certificate in Design Science, Master of Facilities Management, Graduate Diploma in Facilities Management and Graduate Certificate in Facilities Management;
- Faculty of Dentistry: the renaming of the Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (Oral Medicine/Oral Pathology) to become the Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (Oral Medicine); and
- Faculty of Engineering and Information Technologies: the amendment of the Bachelor of Engineering degree from the Bachelor of Engineering (stream) to the Bachelor of Engineering Honours (stream).
Reports from Faculties:
The Academic Board approved the following proposals:
- University of Sydney Business School: the continued offering of the Master of Management and the Master of Management (CEMS) with their existing volumes of learning; and the amendment of the Master of Management and the Master of Management (CEMS);
- Faculty of Dentistry: the amendment of the Faculty Resolutions; and
- Faculty of Veterinary Science: the amendment of the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.
The Academic Board approved:
- the amendment of the Admission to Undergraduate Courses policy; and
- the amendment of the Policy on Awards with Honours.
The Academic Board also:
- endorsed the development of materials for students regarding open access and the e-lodgement of theses;
- noted the presentation from the University Librarian on the Library change proposal;
- noted the presentation from the Provost on the Student Administration Services Project;
- approved the Chair’s recommendation to appoint or co-opt additional members as set out in the report presented;
- appointed Dr Daniela Traini as Chair of the Academic Standards and Policy Committee and Associate Professor Stephen Cattle as Chair of the Undergraduate Studies Committee;
- approved the nomination of various members to the standing committees;
- recommended that Senate approve the proposed amendment of the University of Sydney (Coursework) Rule 2000 (as amended) and the University of Sydney (Higher Degree by Research) Rule 2011 (as amended);
- noted the Chair’s report on the 2014 overview of Academic Board activities;
- noted the report on actions taken by the Chair on its behalf in respect of any urgent matters that arose between the Academic Board meeting on 4 December 2013 and the first Academic Board meeting in 2014;
- noted the report on follow-up action from the report of the review of the Faculty of Agriculture and Environment;
- approved the proposed amendments to the terms of reference for the Academic Standards and Policy Committee, Admissions Committee, Graduate Studies Committee and Undergraduate Studies Committee;
- noted the report of the Vice-Chancellor on progress and achievements in all of the priority activities listed in the 2013 Preview;
- approved the amendment to the 2014 semester and vacation dates for the Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery;
- noted the adoption of the Delay in Lodgement of Thesis for Higher Degrees by Research Guidelines 2014;
- noted the adoption of the Annual Progress Review of Higher Degree by Research Students Guidelines 2014;
- noted the report on policies to be reviewed in 2014;
- noted the report on the promotion of academic staff to Level E in 2013;
- approved the membership of the 2014 Level D and Level E Central Promotions Committees; and
- approved the 2014 Student Proctorial Panel membership.