Academic Board 19 August 2015
The Academic Board approved proposals to introduce, delete or amend the following courses:
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences: the deletion of the Master of China Studies, the Graduate Diploma in China Studies and the Graduate Certificate in China Studies.
Reports from Faculties:
The Academic Board approved the following proposals:
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences: the amendment of the Bachelor of Political, Economic and Social Sciences and the Graduate Certificate in Political Economy;
- Faculty of Engineering and Information Technologies: the amendment of the Bachelor of Engineering Honours combined degrees and the Bachelor of Information Technology/Bachelor Medical Science;
- Faculty of Health Sciences: the amendment of the Faculty Resolutions of the Faculty of Health Sciences;
- Faculty of Medicine:: the amendment of the Master of Health Policy, Graduate Diploma in Health Policy, Graduate Certificate in Health Policy, the Master of Qualitative Health Research, Graduate Diploma in Qualitative Health Research and amendments to various tables of units of study; and
- Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery: the amendment of the Bachelor of Arts/Master of Nursing, Bachelor of Science/Master of Nursing, Bachelor of Health Science/Master of Nursing, the Faculty Resolutions of the Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, the Master of Advanced Nursing Practice, Master of Cancer and Haematology Nursing, Master of Emergency Nursing, Master of Intensive Care Nursing, Master of Mental Health Nursing, Master of Nursing (Nurse Practitioner), Master of Primary Health Care Nursing, Graduate Diploma in Advanced Nursing Practice, Graduate Diploma in Cancer and Haematology Nursing, Graduate Diploma in Emergency Nursing, Graduate Diploma in Intensive Care Nursing, Graduate Diploma in Mental Health Nursing, Graduate Diploma in Primary Health Care Nursing, Graduate Certificate in Clinical Trials Practice, Graduate Certificate in Clinical Nursing, Graduate Certificate in Cancer and Haematology Nursing, Graduate Certificate in Emergency Nursing, Graduate Certificate in Intensive Care Nursing, Graduate Certificate in Mental Health Nursing, Graduate Certificate in Primary Health Care Nursing, the Master of Nursing (Graduate Entry) and the Master of Philosophy.
The Academic Board approved amendments to the Coursework Policy 2014 and the Assessment Procedures 2011, and the introduction of the Credit Procedures 2015.
The Academic Board also:
- noted presentations from the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Education) and Acting Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) on their respective discussion papers for the 2016-2020 Strategic Plan;
- approved the nomination of Mr Thomas Greenwell and Ms Kylee Hartman-Warren by SUPRA under clause 184.108.40.206 of the University of Sydney (Academic Governance) Rule 2003 (as amended);
- approved the nomination of Dr Andrea McCloughen as the representative of the Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery on the Graduate Studies Committee for a term of membership expiring 31 December 2015;
- noted the report on the OLT-funded project “Reframing the PhD for Australia’s future universities” and agree to participate in the project as necessary;
- noted the report of the Vice-Chancellor on the development of the 2016-2020 strategic plan, discussion with UNSW on a range of research partnerships, and recruitment for a Pro Vice-Chancellor (Global Engagement);
- approved a request from the Faculty of Agriculture and Environment to amend its semester dates for 2016;
- recommended that Senate approve the amendments to the Senate Resolutions relating to the Constitution of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences with immediate effect;
- noted a report on Honours data;
- approved an amendment to the use of the UQI factor with respect to applications from members or fellows of medical colleges;
- noted the report of the Academic Misconduct and Plagiarism Taskforce “An Approach to Minimising Academic Misconduct and Plagiarism at the University of Sydney - Part 1: Prevention and Detection”, endorsed the recommendations of the report and undertake the review of assessment strategy and policy outlined in that recommendation and noted that the Academic Standards and Policy Committee has established a working party to undertake the policy reviews outlined in recommendation (5);
- endorsed the University becoming a signatory to the Hague Declaration on Knowledge Discovery in the Digital Age; and
- approved an amendment to the membership of the Central Promotions Committee Level E for 2015.