Sydney Festival Instagram competition
To celebrate our partnership with Sydney Festival we asked you to share how our city inspires you through an Instagram photo competition. We received over 1,000 amazing entries. Congratulations to our winners who have won $500 worth of Sydney Festival tickets! Follow us on Instagram for the latest updates from our Instagram account.
Inspiration can come from anywhere and we get a lot from our supporters – see how they help us to shape the world in which we live.
See some of the inspiring entries
This competition is now closed
- Download the Instagram app for iPhone or Android.
- Follow @sydney_uni on Instagram.
- Take an original photo or video which responds to the question: How does Sydney inspire you?
- Upload the photo or video to Instagram and use the hashtag #unisydcomp and tag @sydney_uni in the caption field. Students of the University of Sydney can add #student to enter the competition for the separate student prize.
- Be sure to make your profile public so we can see your entries.
- Enter as many times as you like!
The competition commences at 9am on 24 October 2013 and ends midnight 15 November 2013.
Three x $500 worth of tickets to Sydney Festival 2014 events.
To be awarded to two members of the public and one student of the University of Sydney (‘Student Prize’).
- You must always use the hashtag #unisydcomp and tag @sydney_uni. Students of the University of Sydney can add #student to enter the competition for the Student Prize.
- Only entries submitted via Instagram and which are appropriately captioned will be accepted.
- You must have an Instagram account with the privacy settings set to ‘public’ for valid entry.
- This Competition is open to individual entries only, no group entries will be considered valid.
- There is no maximum number of entries – you can enter as many times as you like!
Entry is only open to persons who, during the Competition Period, are:
- at least 18 years old; and
- members of the public that are permanent residents of New South Wales; or
- students of the University of Sydney.
The following persons are ineligible to enter the competition:
- people that are not permanent residents of New South Wales (other than international students at the University of Sydney); and
- members of the University of Sydney Marketing and Communications Team.
Entries will be judged according to creativity and originality.
A shortlist of 30 photos and/or videos ('Images') will be determined by the University of Sydney Marketing Team during the week beginning Monday 18 November 2013. The Director of Sydney Festival and the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Sydney will then select four winners by 29 November 2013.
- Winners will be announced by the University of Sydney through its Instagram account @sydney_uni by 3 December 2013.
- Winners will be asked to contact the University of Sydney to arrange a time to claim their prize and must provide their full name, postal address or their current mobile telephone number and email address.
The University of Sydney shall endeavour to contact each winner via their Instagram account within one week of the prize draw. In the event that a winner cannot be contacted after two weeks, an alternate winner will be selected on the basis of the criteria specified and the original winner will forfeit any prize.
Claiming the prizes
Prizes are to be collected from the University of Sydney and prizewinners will be required to show valid identification upon prize collection, and may be required to verify the winning Instagram account belongs to them.
The University will put the winners in contact with a Sydney Festival ticketing agent in order to book tickets for Sydney Festival events.
Please note that the prize does not allow for purchase of tickets to the following events: The Serpent’s Table at Carriageworks and The Calling at ICE (Information & Cultural Exchange). It is also possible that some events will sell out quickly – the University does not take any responsibility if a winner is unable to book tickets to a particular event.
Additional terms and conditions
1. Deemed acceptance: Entry into the Competition is deemed acceptance of these T&C (as may be amended from time to time).
2. Your Images: You agree to grant the University of Sydney (‘the University’) and Sydney Festival, a free, non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual and irrevocable license to use, reproduce, distribute, adapt, publish, broadcast, communicate and perform your entry, in whole or in part for any purpose including the Competition. This may include use in promotional formats broadcast to the public such as through a digital feed via the University of Sydney and Sydney Festival websites, Facebook pages, Twitter accounts and Instagram accounts, and in subsequent competition promotions (with attribution), or printed for physical events by the University of Sydney and/or Sydney Festival. You will not be entitled to any fee for such use.
4. Instagram Terms and Conditions apply: Participation in this Competition assumes acceptance of the Instagram terms and conditions, available at: http://instagram.com/legal/terms/
5. Original Image: Each entry must be an original work by you and you must have obtained the permission from all persons appearing in Images and relevant property owners to enter this Competition. You warrant that your entry is not, and its use by the University and Sydney Festival will not, infringe the rights (including intellectual property rights) of any third party.
6. Game of skill: The Competition is a game of skill, chance plays no part in determining the winner/s and each validly submitted entry will be individually judged by the University and Sydney Festival on the basis of originality and creativity, and according to any other criteria specified or adopted.
7. Binding decision: A decision of the University in relation to the conduct of the Competition, including the selection of winning entries, is binding and conclusive and no correspondence will be entered into.
8. Prizes non-transferrable: Prizes are not transferable or redeemable for cash. The prizes, or any element of the prizes, cannot be exchanged for any other prize/s. The contents of the prizes will be at the University’s sole discretion.
9. Prize validity: Prizes are valid until the expiry date specified on the tickets (or by the event holder), and subject to the conditions stipulated by the event holder. Such prizes cannot be redeemed for further vouchers or tickets, and are not exchangeable for cash. In the event that the tickets booked by winners do not add up to $500 any remaining amounts will be forfeited.
10. Prize restrictions: Limit of two tickets to each event per winner. The prize does not allow purchase of tickets to the following events: The Serpent’s Table at Carriageworks and The Calling at ICE (Information & Cultural Exchange). It is also possible that some events will sell out quickly – the University does not take any responsibility if a winner is unable to book tickets to a particular event.
11. Prize event: If any part of the event for which the winning tickets are for is postponed, sold out, cancelled or varied for any reason, then at the University’s discretion, the winner forfeits all rights to participate in the relevant event and no cash or alternative prize will be substituted for that element of the prize.
12. No expenses: Any expense, including taxes, spare parts, maintenance or delivery costs, associated with accepting, taking or using a prize, will be the prize winner’s sole responsibility.
13. No warranties: The University makes no warranties or representations about the fitness for purpose or suitability of any prize and will not accept responsibility for the quality or fitness for any purpose of any prize, or the failure of any prize to be of merchantable quality. If liability under terms implied by legislation cannot be excluded by the University, the liability of the University is limited to re-supplying the tickets or awarding a prize of equivalent value.
14. No Responsibility: No responsibility will be taken by the University for any change in dates, times or cancellations or other arrangements that may prevent a winner from accepting, taking or using a prize. The University accepts no responsibility for late, lost, incorrectly submitted or misdirected entries, for any technological malfunction or failure, Internet traffic congestion, or for outdated or incorrect contact details by which you cannot be contacted during business hours on relevant dates.
15. Disqualifications: The University may, in its absolute discretion, disqualify:
b. any individual who tampers with the entry process, submits an entry that is not in accordance with the Terms, or who has in the opinion of the University, engaged in unlawful or improper conduct that is designed to, or is likely to, adversely affect the fair and proper conduct of the Competition or is generally damaging to the goodwill or reputation of the University.
16. Varying the competition: The University reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, at any time before the awarding of the prizes to cancel or vary a competition, or cancel, vary or withdraw its prizes. If the University cancels or varies a competition, or cancels, varies or withdraws its prizes, is not:
a. liable to any person for any costs, loss or damage whatsoever arising out of, or in connection with, such cancellation, variation or withdrawal; or
b. required to conduct the Competition at any other time.
17. No liability: You enter the Competition at your own risk. With the exception of liability which cannot be excluded by law, the University is not liable for, and you release the University from, liabilities relating to any direct or indirect loss or damage which is suffered, or for personal injury or sickness suffered or sustained, as a result of entering the Competition, failing to win, winning, accepting or using a prize.