Our goal is to develop not only a sustainable infrastructure for the University, but an environmentally-minded community that supports sustainable habits and practices. Staff and students can each do their part to achieve better standards of resource efficiency and waste prevention on campus with simple actions and a more environmentally-minded approach to your daily routine.
Easy ways to be a sustainable student
- Bring bottles for bubblers - bring a water bottle to uni and fill it up at the water stations around campus. It’s cheaper than buying bottled water, and reduces waste.
- Get on your bike! Riding to uni saves you money on petrol and parking and saves the environment the trouble of dealing with more exhaust fumes. We have plenty of bike racks on campus, with more to come.
- Printing is so passé - before you print, think: do you really need to print that? Printing your assignments is one thing, printing 100 pages of lecture notes is another. At the very least, print double-sided.
- The big turn off - surveys have shown that the majority of monitors in computer labs and library spaces are left on after use. With one poke of a button, you can help keep energy use as efficient as possible.
- A cup to keep - the daily coffee is a life or death necessity for many of us on campus. Most takeaway coffee cups are non-recyclable (thanks to a special plastic lining inside the cup), reusable cups are not only far more beneficial to the environment, they’re also great for travel. You can buy University of Sydney cups from various outlets on campus (or at the Sustainable Campus tent at O-Week for a discounted price).
We run and participate in a number of sustainability-related events and initiatives throughout the year – and encourage students to get involved.
O-Week, 26-29 February
The Sustainable Campus team will be a part of the O-Week action, running a stall and various activities during the week. Come along, where you can can:
- Get free bicycle tune ups from our resident bike doctor, as well as free City of Sydney cycling maps and tips for cyclists.
- Learn more about the University of Sydney Community Garden, and find out how you can get involved.
- Sign up to the student network.
- Find useful information and demonstrations of sustainable waste management and resource recovery.
- Purchase environmentally friendly wares (at a special O-Week discount!)
Ride to Uni Day, November
Coinciding with National Ride2Work Day, Ride to Uni Day encourages students and staff to jump on a bike and get to uni the healthy and environmentally friendly way. A recent survey of more than 3000 University of Sydney students and staff revealed a mere six per cent use pedal power to travel to campus – despite 40 per cent of the Camperdown-based campus population living less than 5km away.
Best of all, the Sustainable Campus team host an annual free breakfast for those cyclists who’ve worked up an appetite along the way.
Walk to Uni Day, November
Nothing beats a good stroll, especially when you know you’re saving pollution, energy and money and burning calories instead of fossil fuels.
Join our Student Network
We are recruiting passionate, keen students to help us create a sustainable campus. By volunteering in our student network, you can contribute to the cause in various ways. You can assist at major events, provide ideas and feedback for our sustainability initiatives, and be a super ambassador for all things sustainable!
If you’re interested in joining up, or would like to know more, email: