Dr Xiangyuan (Carl) Cui
Ph: + 61 (0)2 9114 0558
Fax: + 61 (0)2 9351 7526
PhD., 2003, Salford University (U.K.)
MSc., 1999, The University of Science and Technology of China
BSc., 1994, Qufu Normal University (China)
- 2010 – present: Research Fellow, ACMM, USyd.
- 2004 – 2010 Research Associate, School of Physics, USyd.
Self-labelled as a whisperer at the Nano-world, Dr Cui is interested in the microscopy & microanalysis of a range of materials through computational simulations. By performing the-state-of-the-art first-principles calculations, he is currently working with Prof. Simone Ringer and Dr Rongkun Zheng’s group members on the “Understanding/Designing Advanced Ferromagnetic Semiconductors’.
Other research interests
- Defect induced magnetism in semiconductor
- Superhard materials
- Spin injection and magnetoresistence effects
- Band-gap engineering and band-offset engineering
- 1. X. Y. Cui, B. Delley and C. Stampfl, ‘Bandgap engineering of polar and non-polar GaN/AlN superlattices from first principles’, Journal of Applied Physics (in press)
- 2. X. Y. Cui, D. J. Carter, B. Delley, S. H. Wei, A. J. Freeman, M. Fuchs and C. Stampfl, ‘Continuously tunable bandgap in GaN/AlN (0001) superlattices via built-in electric field’, Phys. Rev. B 81, 155301 (2010)
- X. Y. Cui, B. Delley, A. J. Freeman and C. Stampfl, ‘First-principles investigation of Mn -layer doped GaN/AlN/GaN (0001) tunneling junctions’, J. Appl. Phys. 106, 043711 (2009)
- X.-Y. Cui, J. E. Medvedeva, B. Delley, A. J. Freeman, and C. Stampfl, Built-in electric field assisted spin injection in Cr and Mn δ-layer doped AlN/GaN(0001) heterostructures from first-principles, Phys. Rev. B 78, 245317 (2008).
- X. Y. Cui, B. Delley, A. J. Freeman, and C. Stampfl, Neutral and charged embedded clusters of Mn in doped GaN from first principles, Phys. Rev. B 76 , 045201 (2007)
- X.Y. Cui, B. Delley, A. J. Freeman, and C. Stampfl, Magnetic metastability in tetrahedrally bonded magnetic III-nitride semiconductors, Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 016402 (2006).
- X.Y. Cui, J. Medvedeva, A. J. Freeman, B. Delley, N. Newman, and C. Stampfl, Role of embedded clustering in dilute magnetic nitrides: Cr doped GaN, Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 256404 (2005)