Dr Dianne Hughes
Ph: + 61 2 9351 3176
Fax: + 61 2 9351 7682
BA (now BSc) 1979 Macquarie University
MSc 1985 University of Sydney
PhD 1995 Macquarie University
Dianne’s background is in the structure and morphology skeletal tissues of fish (scales, bone, teeth) and bone from patients with metabolic bone disease such as osteoporosis and Paget’s disease. She has worked as an SEM specialist in the E.M.Unit (USyd) and as a researcher in the Dept. of Endocrinology and Metabolism at Concord Hospital
Engagement with the Centre
Her current interests are 1. publication of previous research based on a broad survey of the morphology of general body and lateral line scales of fishes, with particular emphasis of origin and evolution of the various scale types and 2. reviewing the morphology of lateral line scales in collaboration with Dr. Elena Voronina (Russian Academy of Sciences).
- Hughes DR 1980. Preparation of fish scales for SEM. Micron 11:423-424
- Hughes DR 1981. Development and organization of the posterior field of ctenoid scales in the Platycephalidae. Copeia 1981:596-606.
- Hughes DR, Basset JR, Moffat LA 1994. Structure and origin of the tooth pedicel (the so-called bone of attachment) and dental-ridge bone in the mandible of the sea breams Acanthopagrus australis, Pagrus auratus and Rhabdosargus sarba (Sparidae, Perciformes, Teleostei). Anat Embryol 189:51-69.
- Hughes DR, Basset JR, Moffat LA 1994. Histological identification of osteocytes in the allegedly acellular bone of the sea breams Acanthopagrus australis, Pagrus auratus and Rhabdosargus sarba (Sparidae, Perciformes, Teleostei). Anat Embryol 190:163-179.
- Sambrook PN, Hughes DR, Nelson AE, Robinson BG, Mason RS 2003. Osteocyte viability with glucocorticoid treatment: relation to histomorphometry. Ann Rheum Dis 2003;62:1215–7
- Phillips CA, Hughes DR, Huja SS 2009. Modifications of the lactate dehydrogenase assay, a histochemical determinant of osteocyte viability – A qualitative study. Acta Histochemica 111 (2):166-171.