A/Prof. Allan S Jones
Associate Professor, Image Analysis
Ph: + 61 2 9351 7587
Fax: + 61 2 9351 7682
B.App.Sc, 1986, UTS; Grad. Dip. Biomed.E, 1991, UNSW; Ph.D., 1996, UNSW.
Allan's background is in hospital medical science and engineering with particular emphasis on medical imaging in microscopy contexts. He has worked in a wide variety of both clinical and non-clinical environments including biochemistry, cell biology, histology, respiratory medicine, biomaterials and computer science.
His research interests revolve around the appication of imaging to the analysis of microscopy derived data. Allan has a particular interest in the development and application of three-dimensional visualisation and measurement techniques across a wide variety of imaging platforms. Current work includes:
- X-ray microtomography (XRMT) of mineral samples.
- Analysis of orthodontically induced tooth damage using SEM and XRMT.
- Three-dimensional texture analysis.
- Three-dimensional atom probe-field ion microscopy.
- Zheng Q; Milthorpe BK; Jones A. Direct neural network application for automated cell recognition. Cytometry. 57A(1):1-9, 2004. Download pdf
- Chan EK. Darendeliler MA. Petocz P. Jones AS. A new method for volumetric measurement of orthodontically induced root resorption craters. [Clinical Trial. Journal Article. Randomized Controlled Trial] European Journal of Oral Sciences. 112(2):134-9, 2004 Apr. Download pdf
- Gaus K. Gratton E. Kable EP. Jones AS. Gelissen I. Kritharides L. Jessup W. Visualizing lipid structure and raft domains in living cells with two-photon microscopy. [Journal Article] Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 100(26):15554-9, 2003 Dec 23. Download pdf
- Benyon FHL; Jones AS; Tovey ER; Stone G; Differentiation of allergenic fungal spores by image analysis, with application to aerobiological counts. Aerobilogica 15: 211-233 (1999). Download pdf
- Benyon FHL; Hjelmroos M; Culliver S; Jones AS; Tovey ER. Airborne Allergens Database (CD-ROM). Copyright IRM, 1999. Institute of Respiratory Medicine, ISBN 0 9585668 0 1, Released December 1999.
- Jones AS; Milthorpe BK; Howlett CR; The measurement of microtomy induced section distortion and its correction for 3-dimensional histological reconstructions. Cytometry, 15: 95-105 (1994).