Prof. Simon P. Ringer
Director, Australian Centre for Microscopy & Microanalysis (ACMM)
Executive Director and CEO, Australian Microscopy & Microanalysis Research Facility (AMMRF)
Director, Bandwidth Foundry International Pty Ltd
Ph: + 61 2 9351 2351
Fax: + 61 2 9351 7682
BAppSc, 1986, Uni SA; PhD, 1991, UNSW; CPEng, FIEAust, MIMEA.
- 2007-present: Executive Director and CEO of the AMMRF, and Professor and Director of the ACMM.
- 2001-2007: Executive Director and CEO of the NANO-MNRF and Professor and Director of the ACMM.
- 1996-2001: Lecturer and Senior Lecturer at the Department of Materials Engineering, Monash University.
- 1994-1996: Research Associate and Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Postdoctoral Fellow, Institute for Materials Research, Tohoku University, Japan.
- 1991-1993: Research Fellow, Department of Materials Engineering, Monash University.
Phase transformations and properties of materials, with an emphasis on engineering alloys, including aluminium alloys, HSLA steels, magnetic materials, nuclear materials and heat affected zones in welded materials.
Application of materials characterisation to understanding microstructureproperty relationships in these alloys as well as other materials such as polymer nanocomposites and advanced ceramics used in dental and optical fibre applications. Characterisation techniques used to determine microstructureproperty relationships include:
- Transmission Electron Microscopy
- Energy Dispersive X-ray Analysis
- Electron Energy Loss Spectroscopy
- Three-Dimensional Atom Probe-Field Ion Microscopy
- X-Ray Diffraction
- Mechanical Testing
- R.K.W. Marceau, G. Sha, R.N. Lumley and S.P. Ringer, "Evolution of Solute Clustering in Al-Cu-Mg Alloys During Secondary Ageing", Acta Materialia, Vol. 59, pp. 1797-1805 (2010)
- E.V. Pereloma, R.A. Stohr, M.K. Miller and S.P. Ringer, Observation of Precipitation Evolution in Fe-Ni-Mn-Ti-Al Maraging Steel by Atom Probe Tomography, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions, (2009) DOI: 10.1007/s11661-009-9993-z.
- X. Zhang, Y.H. Cheng, L.Y. Li, H. Liu, X. Zuo, G.H. Wen, L. Li, R.K. Zheng and S.P. Ringer, "Evidence for High-Tc Ferromagnetism in Znx(Zno)[1 - X] Granular Films Mediated by Native Point Defects", Physical Review B (Condensed Matter and Materials Physics), 80:174427-174426 (2009).
- N. Stanford, G. Sha, A. La Fontaine, M.R. Barnett and S.P. Ringer, Atom Probe Tomography of Solute Distributions in Mg-Based Alloys, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions, Vol. 40A, pp. 2480-2487 (2009) DOI: 10.1007/s11661-009-9937-7.
T.C. Petersen and S.P. Ringer, "Electron Tomography of Atom Probe Specimen Morphology Using A Geometric Surface-Tangent Algorithm", Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 105, 103518 (2009).
- B. Gault, M.P. Moody, F. de Geuser, A. La Fontaine, L.T. Stephenson, D. Haley and S.P. Ringer, "Origin Of the Spatial Resolution in Atom Probe Microscopy", Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 95, 034103 (2009).
- M.P. Moody, B. Gault, L.T. Stephenson, D. Haley and S.P. Ringer, "Qualification of the Tomographic Reconstruction in Atom Probe by Advanced Spatial Distribution Map Techniques", Ultramicroscopy, Vol. 109, pp. 815-824 (2009).
- D. Haley, T. Petersen, G. Barton and S.P. Ringer, "Influence of field evaporation on Radial Distribution Functions in Atom Probe Tomography" Philosophical Magazine, Vol. 89A, pp. 925-943 (2009).
- S.P. Ringer, B.T. Sofyan, K.S. Prasad and G.C. Quan, "Precipitation Reactions in Al-4.0Cu-0.3Mg (wt. %) Alloy, Acta Materialia Volume 56, pp. 2147-2160 (2008).
S.P. Ringer, K.S. Prasad and G.C. Quan, "Internal Co-Precipitation In Aged Al-1.7Cu-0.3Mg-0.1Ge (at. %) Alloy", Acta Materialia, Volume 56, pp. 1933-1941 (2008).