Course Notes & Resources
How to calculate the length of a scale bar for your image
This scale bar drawing exercise for light and electron microscope images has been developed for our course students. Simply upload a JPEG image and follow the instructions.
Fundamentals of Aluminium Metallurgy: Production, Processing and Applications
Edited by Roger Lumley, CSIRO Light Metal Flagship, Australia
With contributions from Gang Sha, Ross Marceau and Simon Ringer
Published October 2010 by Woodhead Publishing Ltd; 864 pages; ISBN-13: 978-1-84569-654-2
- Provides a comprehensive overview of the production, properties and processing of aluminium, and its applications in manufacturing industries.
- Considers many issues of central importance in aluminium production and utilisation considering quality issues and design for fatigue growth resistance.
- Metallurgical properties of aluminium and its alloys are further explored with particular reference to work hardening and applications of industrial alloys.
For more information and to order this book please go to the Woodhead Publishing website.
Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
By Guy Cox, with contributions by Eleanor Kable, Nuno Moreno and Teresa Dibbayawan
Published November 2006 by CRC Press / Taylor & Francis. 344pp; ISBN: 0-8493-3919-7
Using a highly accessible style and format, this book:
- Provides an understanding of the underlying principles, benefits, and limitations of optical techniques currently used in cell biology;
Presents a cogent, sophisticated discussion without relying on complex mathematics;
- Addresses basic concepts in imaging such as contrasting techniques, fluorescence, and the correction of aberrations;
- Explores advanced techniques such as quantitative fluorescence, three-dimensional imaging, nonlinear microscopy, and stimulated emission depletion;
- Includes multiple appendices on practical maintenance, cell handling, labeling, and image manipulation.