Atom Probe Reconstruction & Data Analysis Workshop
- An overview of contemporary APT reconstruction approaches;
- Limitations and artifacts due to the implementation of the present techniques (delegates are encouraged to present examples of reconstruction artifacts);
- Practical approaches for the optimisation of current reconstruction methodologies;
- New algorithms and potential new approaches to reconstruction;
- An overview of current APT computational characterisation tools;
- Data analysis: innovative algorithms for new nanostructural insight from APT data interrogation (delegates are encouraged to discuss/present novel data analysis algorithms and strategies for characterising APT results).
Anyone with an interest in learning more about these critical research problems and contributing to the discourse is most cordially invited to attend.
Bursaries are not available as all attendees are expected to cover their own costs. The workshop will be held in the scenic Hydro Majestic Hotel, surrounded by the Blue Mountains National Park approximately 50 km west of Sydney. Accommodation, breakfast, dinner and venue fee will cost around $600 per person. To maintain the workshop as an informal and intimate collaborative gathering, numbers are limited, so be sure to express your interest as early as possible.
Dates and times
Sunday, 7 December, 4:30 pm to Tuesday, 9 December 2008, approximately 12:30 pm.
Wednesday, 10 December 2008
The workshop will run Sunday to Tuesday. On Wednesday, 10 December, we plan to set aside the morning to have some tours of the EMU (AMMRF) facilities, then a small networking session in the afternoon. This will be a trip to Manly on one of Sydney’s ferries.
Schedule in brief:
|Meet at EMU, Madsen Building (F09) on the University of Sydney's Camperdown Campus.
All visitors need to ensure they 'check in' with the EMU's Office for safety purposes.
10:00 am 12:00 noon
|Tour the facilities, chat with researchers and colleagues.|
|Depart with colleagues to Manly by train or taxi, then ferry.|
Before 5:00 pm
|Back at the University.|
Costs (and inclusions)
The cost to attend the Workshop is $516 per person.
The following is included:
Workshop fees for the 3 days/2 nights accommodation and breakfast, and dinners for the nights of Sunday and Monday, 78 December 2008.
Beverages at dinner are on consumption and covered by guest. Transport to and from the venue will be at your own expense.
How to book
- All guests are encouraged to reserve and pay directly with the Hydro Majestic Hotel. Please contact Wayne Marvin or Bryant Wong at the Hotel on +61 2 4788 1002 or +61 2 4784 5000 or via email at .
- Please mention you are staying for the 'University of Sydney Atom Probe Tomography Workshop' and that you would like to utilise the 'all inclusive fee' for the Workshop of $516.
- Don’t forget to advise and cc at the EMU that you had made contact with the hotel and reserved your booking at the Hydro Majestic Hotel.
A contingent of University of Sydney colleagues will be departing on Sunday, 7 December from Central Rail Station for travel to Medlow Bath Station.
It is anticipated that everyone who wants to travel with this contingent will be meeting in front of 'Hungry Jacks' food outlet in the Country Trains area approximately 12:45 pm.
There is a train departing at 1:18 pm from platform 13 and arrives at Medlow Bath at 3:28 pm. Trains leaving from Central to Medlow Bath run approximately every 60 minutes.
Fares are expected to cost $13.60 each way.
For further information, refer the Cityrail Website and search for 'Blue Mountains Line' www.131500.com.au.
Upon the workshop finishing, the following trains depart Medlow Bath direct to Central Station:
- 12:14 pm; arriving Central Station in Sydney at 2:30 pm on Platform 13.
- 2:28 pm; arriving Central Station in Sydney at 4:43 pm on Platform 10.
Other options available include:
- Train travel direct from Sydney Airport (Domestic or International) to Medlow Bath Rail Station. Please refer to the CityRail website (www.cityrail.info) for times and details.
- International Terminal Rail Station to Central Station, then Central to Medlow Bath.
- Domestic Terminal Rail Station to Central, then Central to Medlow Bath.
The journey from Sydney to Medlow Bath takes approximately 90 minutes to 2 hours by road.
It would be appreciated if attendees could advise their mode of travel to the venue (whether 'self' or with group) in their replies to and cc , so they can look out for you if you choose to travel with the group on the Sunday.
Accommodation options in Sydney
If you are attending the Excellence in Microscopy Symposium the week prior, or taking an extended break to enjoy our wonderful Sydney surroundings, the following is a list of places where you could stay:
- Metro Hotel on Pitt Street, www.metrohotels.com.au (4 star - located in the city close to all attractions);
- Rydges Hotel Jamison, www.rydges.com.au (4 star located close to the Circular Quay area of Sydney);
- Sydney Harbor Marriott, www.sydneyharbourmarriott.com.au (5 star located at Circular Quay);
- Travelodge Hotel (Phillip Street, Sydney / Wentworth Avenue, Sydney / Wynyard Train Station), www.travelodge.com.au.
The following are places closer to the University:
- Rydges Camperdown, 9 Missenden Road, Camperdown (would be the closest approx 15 mins walk)
- Mercure Sydney, 818 George Street, Sydney (close to Central Rail Station)
- Quest Apartments Camperdown, 23 Missenden Road, Camperdown (approx 20 mins walk from Campus)
- Medina Classic Chippendale, Ivy Street, Chippendale
- Billabong Gardens, 511 Egan Street, Newtown
Things to see and do
- Visit the EMU's Small Matters Exhibition in the Macleay Museum on campus
- Visit the Powerhouse Museum, located in Ultimo
- Visit Taronga Zoo, located in Mosman on the north side
- Take a walk around Darling Harbor precinct & China Town
- Visit the famous Bondi Beach (bus ride)
DON’T FORGET TO CHECK THE WEBSITE FOR PROGRAMME UPDATES.
We look forward to sharing an exciting workshop with you and we hope you can make it.
, Krishna Rajan, and .
The workshop is co-organised by