Research student profile: Deviga Vengedasalam
Economic Impact on Agricultural Biotechnology in Malaysia : An Ex-ante Study on Genetically Modified Rice.
My project aims to estimate the ex-ante economic impact of GM rice for two varieties, drought-tolerant and sheath blight disease resistance under various scenarios in Malaysia.
At the moment, research has shown that government funding for agricultural research are limited, therefore it is important to study on an ex -ante measure of economic impact on GM rice before investing into developing and commercializing the GM seeds. Previously, findings have demonstrated the importance of ex-ante studies in transgenic crops in various countries for priority setting and resource allocations of public funds.
To tackle this project my research involves some spatial data and field work. I will be using the GIS application to identify the potential target zones and DREAM model to measures the impact on Malaysian agricultural sector. To do this my work involves various stages including surveys, field work and simulations.
From this study, I hope to demonstrate the cost and benefit of agricultural biotechnology research project towards farmers, consumers and to international trade.
Findings form this work will enable the donors and policy makers to make decision on priority setting and resource allocations for agricultural research.
I am an international student from Malaysia and completed my B.Sc (Resource Economics) and Masters of Economics from University Putra Malaysia. I have been working as an economic lecturer at the University Technology of MARA (UITM) for the last nine years before embark into my PhD. I started my PhD in March 2009.
I have been granted the Malaysian Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) Scholarship and UITM scholarship to pursue my PhD at University of Sydney.
I received the Young Researcher Award from University Technology of MARA in year 2005 for completing three research projects in a year.
- Nair, M., Madhavan, K. and Vengadasalam, D., 2006. “The effect of trade openness on manufacturing industry in Malaysia: strategies to enhance its competitiveness”, International Journal of Management, Volume 23, Issue 4, pp. 878-890.
- Nair, M., Madhavan K. and Vengedasalam D., 2005. “Trade Openness and Competitiveness of the Electronics sector: The Malaysian case”, Journal of International Business Strategy, Volume II, Number 1, pp.1 -10.
- Vengedasalam, D., Madhavan, K., and Chandran, G. and Veera, K., 2005. “The Competitiveness and Specialization of Manufacturing Export : An Application of the Revealed Comparative Advantages (RCA) Approach for ASEAN-5”, Economics Bulletin, Faculty of Business Management, UiTM, Volume 7, ISSN/0128 9675, pp.30 – 41
- Atchiah, P.J., Vengedasalam, D. and Madhavan, K., 2005. “An Evaluation on the impact of FDI, human capital formation, physical capital formation and foreign exchange rate fluctuations on the economic growth of Malaysia from 1970-2000, Economics Bulletin, Faculty of Business Management, UiTM, Volume 7, ISSN/0128 9675, pp 106-123
- Nair, M., Madhavan K. and Vengedasalam D., 2005. “Trade Dynamics between China and ASEAN-5 : An Empirical Analysis”, Proceeding of the 30th Annual Conference of Federation of ASEAN Economic Association (FAEA 2005), Makati City, Philippines.
- Sofiah, Madhavan, K. and Vengedaslam, D., 2005. “Brand Behaviours and Descriptors of Malaysian Teenagers” Proceeding of The 9th International Conference on Global Business and Economics on Management Challenges in Times of Global Change, Seoul, South Korea.
- Vengedasalam, D., Nair, M., and Madhavan, K, 2005. “Trade Openness and the Competitiveness of the Malaysian Electronics Sector : An Empirical Analysis”, Proceeding of The 9th International Conference on Global Business and Economics on Management Challenges in Times of Global Change, Seoul, South Korea.
- Vengedasalam, D and Madhavan, K. 2007. “Principle of Economics”, Publisher; Oxford Fajar Sdn Bhd, Subsidiary of Oxford University Press., May 2007 (ISBN : 978-967-65982-7-1)
- Vengedasalam, D., Madhavan, K and Rohana 2008. “Microeconomics”, Publisher : Oxford Fajar Sdn Bhd, Subsidiary of Oxford University Press, September 2008 (ISBN :978-983-45003-3-7)