Institute for Sustainable Solutions
The new Institute for Sustainable Solutions will harness the substantial intellect, imagination and research infrastructure available across the University of Sydney, from cutting-edge technology to sophisticated economic analysis and policy research frameworks.
The Institute will provide greater coordination and communication to maximise the reach and impact of existing research strengths, and will contribute towards sustainable solutions at a local and global level. Our research will have a strong community focus and will guide our teaching of the next generation of students.
The specific goals of the Institute are to:
- Increase our research and its impact, particularly cross-disciplinary research focused on solutions.
- Further develop research training in sustainability.
- Expand the contribution of the University by engaging in public policy debate, policy formation, public engagement, development and community outreach.
- Develop positive, consultative relationships with industry, and the Australian and State Governments.
- Coordinate teaching programs, including the creation of several new courses relating to sustainability.
Key issues and research themes
We will address key issues such as land and water sustainability, renewable energy, energy conservation, carbon capture and emission management, sustainable building design, urban planning, public health and well-being, economic development, triple bottom line analysis, and environmental and international treaty law.
For more information, visit the Institute for Sustainable Solutions website.