Associate Professor in Resource and Environmental Economics
Tiho graduated from the University Saints Cyril and Methodius in Skopje, Macedonia with a B.Sc. Honours Degree in Agriculture in 1992. After working at the Faculty Experimental Farm and in the private industry, he completed his M.Sc. Degree in Economics at the University of Iceland in 1998.
Tiho obtained his Ph.D. Degree in Agricultural Economics from the Oklahoma State University in June 2003 and joined the Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources, at The University of Sydney in July 2003. Tiho recently completed a Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies (Higher Education).
Tiho’s research interests are in the fields of the economics of agricultural pollution, water economics, economics of carbon emissions and the design of carbon emissions trading mechanisms, and in the use of GIS in environmental and natural resource economic analysis. He supervises postgraduate research students working in these research areas. Tiho has particular research interest in the economics of efficient environmental targets. He has been recently involved in projects on water quality and quantity management, both in an Australian and international context.
Tiho has recently completed a Special Studies Program (sabbatical) at the UNSW School of Economics (3 months), and at the Laboratoire Montpelliérain d’Economie Théorique et Appliquée (LAMETA), in Montpellier, France (9 months). The latter was partly funded by an OECD co-operative research programme fellowship.
RSEC 4132 Environmental Economics
Semester 2 (in alternate years)
RSEC 4134 Economics of Water&Bio-resources
RSEC 4133 Economics of Minerals and Energy Industries
Tiho was awarded the 2008 Dick Jackson Award for Excellence in Teaching (Undergraduate) by the Faculty of Food, Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of Sydney.
- Ancev, T. 2011. Policy Considerations for Mandating Agriculture in a Greenhouse Gas Emissions Trading Scheme. Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy , DOI:10.1093/aepp/ppq031
- Odeh, I.O.A., Tan, D.K.Y., and Ancev, T. 2011. Potential Suitability and Viability of Selected Biodiesel Crops in Australian Marginal Agricultural Lands under Current and Future Climates. Bioenergy Research. DOI 10.1007/s12155-010-9110-6
- Pradhan, D., Ancev, T., Drynan, R., and Harris, M. 2010. Management of Water Reservoirs (Embungs) in West Timor, Indonesia. Water Resources Management. 25: 339-356
- Azad, M. A. S. and T. Ancev. 2010. Using ecological indices to measure economic and environmental performance of irrigated agriculture. Ecological Economics 69:1731-1739.
- Betz, R., Sanderson, T., and T. Ancev. 2010.‘In or out: Efficient inclusion of installations in an Emissions Trading Scheme?’ Journal of Regulatory Economics 37: 162-179.
- Lee, L.Y., and T. Ancev. 2009. ‘Two Decades of Murray-Darling Water Management: A River of Funding, a Trickle of Achievement.’ Agenda, 16 (1): 5-23.
- Spencer, T., Ancev, T. and Connor, J. 2009. ‘Improving cost effectiveness of irrigation zoning for salinity mitigation by introducing offsets.’ Water Resources Management 23 : 2085–2100.
- Manandhar, R., Odeh, O.I., and T. Ancev. 2009. ‘Improving the Accuracy of Land Use and Land Cover Classification of Landsat Data Using Post-Classification Enhancement’ Remote Sensing 1(3): 330-344.
- Ancev, T. 2008. ‘All Costs Considered: Should Agriculture be a Part of a National ETS?’ Farm Policy Journal 5: 21-29.
- Lee, L.Y., T. Ancev and W. Vervoort. 2007. ‘Environmental and Economic Impacts of Water Scarcity and Market Reform on the Mooki Catchment.’ The Environmentalist 27: 39-49
- Ancev T. and Vervoort R.W. 2007 The national plan for water security: Taking over the role of the market? Connections: Farm, Food and Resource Issues. Paper 18/2007. Published online: http://www.agrifood.info/connections/2007/Ancer_Vervoort.html
Ancev, T. 2006. ‘Optimality of Pre-Empting Natural Resource Regulation.’ Australian Economic Papers 45: 169-178.
- Ancev, T., A.L. Stoecker, D.E. Storm and M.J. White. 2006. ‘Economics of Efficient Phosphorus Abatement in a Watershed’. Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 31: 529-548.
- Ancev, T. and A.L. Stoecker. 2006. ‘Economics of an Irrigation System for Liquid Manure Application.’ Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering 132: 399-405.
- McBratney, A., Whelan, B., Ancev, T., and Bouma, J., 2005. ‘Future Directions of Precision Agriculture.’ Precision Agriculture 6:1-17.
- Ancev, T., Azad, Md. A. S., Den, D.T., and M. Harris. 2010. ‘Technical Efficiency of Shrimp Farms in Mekong Delta, Vietnam.’ In: Beckmann, V., Dung, N.H., Spoor, M., Shi, X. and J. Wesseler, (Eds.) Economic Transition and Natural Resource Management in East and Southeast Asia. pp. 141-157. Shaker Publishing, Aachen.
Refereed Conference Proceedings:
- Ancev, T. 2009. Learning about economic valuation of the environment using online simulations. In: Fernstrom, K. (Ed.) Readings in Technology and Education: Proceedings of ICICTE 2009, pp: 389-400
- Easdown, D., Ancev, T., Bishop, T., Mansfield, S., Ougrinovskaia, A., Saunders, N., Warren, D. 2009. Teaching and learning in Summer: is it better and why? In: Hugman, A. (Ed.) Proceedings of the Uniserve Science Conference Motivating Science
Undergraduates: Ideas and Interventions. The University of Sydney, p: 24-29.
- Manandhar, R., Odeh, I. and T. Ancev. 2009.Modelling of spatio-temporal expansion of built-up and residential commercial dwellings and their socioeconomic implications in the Lower Hunter of NSW, Australia. In: Ostendorf B., Baldock, P., Bruce, D., Burdett, M. and P. Corcoran (eds.), Proceedings of the Surveying & Spatial Sciences Institute Biennial International Conference, Adelaide 2009, Surveying & Spatial Sciences Institute, pp. 277-292.
- Ancev, T., and Vervoort R.W. 2008. Provision of environmental flows through water markets under climate change, In Odeh, I.A., and Tan, K. D. (eds.) Proceedings from the Faculty Symposium Facing climate change: Research on adaptation of agro-ecosystems, 56-63.
- Ancev, T. and R. Betz. 2006. Load-based Licensing: Getting the Rates Right. Proceedings of the 35th Conference of Economists, Perth, ISBN 1 74067 501 0, available at: http://www.business.curtin.edu.au/download.cfm?DownloadFile=1BB46B37-BD79-06BB-366172BE69C92CBF
Recent Conference papers:
- Ancev, T. and Azad, S. 2010. Saving water for the environment: Incorporating ecological characteristics in the Environmental Performance Index, Forth World Congress of Environmental and Resource Economics. Montreal, Canada. June 29 – July 2.
- Gray, E., Ancev, T., and Drynan, R. 2010. Coexistence of GM and non-GM crops with endogenously determined separation. Annual conference of the International Consortium for Agricultural Biotechnology Research (ICABR). Ravello, Italy. June 16-18.
- Ancev, T. 2010. Policy considerations for participation of agriculture in a GHG ETS. AARES Conference, Adelaide, 9-12 February.
- Sanderson, T., T. Ancev, and R. Betz. 2009. Uniform Standard or Emissions Trading: What is the efficient coverage of companies? European Association of Environmental and Resource Economics, 17th Annual Conference, Amsterdam, 24-27 July.
- Pradhan, D., T. Ancev, R. Drynan, and M. Harris. 2009. Management of Water Reservoirs (Embungs) in West Timor, Indonesia. AARES Conference, Cairns, 10-13 February.
- Ancev, T. 2008. Oil Futures part 4: A series on oil, the future, and you. Crikey.com.au, 3rd June. http://www.crikey.com.au/Politics/20080603-Oil-Futures-part-4-A-series-on-oil-the-future-and-you.html
- Ancev, T. 2005. Credible Real Estate Agents. On Line Opinion. Australia’s e-journal of social and political debate. http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=2570
Recently funded research projects:
- Emissions trading and the design and operation of Australia’s energy markets. Project funded by the Australian Research Council (ARC) under the ‘Linkage’ scheme.
Value: $267,000. Role: Chief investigator. Project to start early 2011.
- Identifying economic and social constraints for water management in vegetable production in Nusa Tenggara Timur (NTT) and Nusa Tenggara Barat (NTB)
Project funded by the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR). Value: $145,000. Role: Project leader. Project completed 2008.
- Evaluating cost-effectiveness of reducing water pollution risks. Project funded by Environmental Trust NSW. Value: $20,000. Role: Chief Investigator. Project completed 2007.
- Capacity Building in Applied Natural Resource Economics and Management for Vietnam. Project funded under the CARD programme of AusAID. Value: $300,000. Role: Co-investigator. Project completed 2008.
- Economic Evaluation of Catchment Management Options in the Irrigated Cotton Areas of the Upper Murray-Darling Basin in New South Wales. Project funded under the University of Sydney Sesqui Scheme. Value: 15,000. Role: Chief Investigator. Project completed 2005.