Dr Floris van Ogtrop
Understanding the water cycle is central to my interests. Through my research I would like to achieve a better understanding in the linkages between water and society and ecosystems. I enjoy teaching and preparing students to for a career in the environmental sciences.
Applying physical and statistical models to understand and identify patterns in hydrological and environmental datasets.
Current projects: Modelling the impact of rainwater harvesting SWAT, India; Modelling water yield, Australian Capital Territory; Quantifying changes in catchment yield due to bushfire, Sydney; Monitoring water quality, Muttama Creek; Atmospheric feedback, NSW; Seasonal rainfall forecasting, Pakistan .
Education: BSc University of Sydney 1998; MSc IHE/UNESCO the Netherlands 2002; PhD University of Sydney 2010.
Employment: Australian research fellow at the University of Sydney in 2010; Associate Lecturer in hydrology and modelling 2011.
Teaching: Biometry and Hydrology
Supervision: 1 honours student and of 4 postgraduate students (associate).
- van Ogtrop, F., Vervoort, R., Heller, G., Stasinopoulos, D., and Rigby, R.(2011): Long-range forecasting of intermittent streamflow, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences Discussions, 8, 681-713.
- Heller, G. Z., D. M. Stasinopoulos, R.A. Rigby, F.F. Van Ogtrop (2009). Randomly stopped sum models: a hydrological application. 24th International Workshop on Statistical Modelling, New York.
- Vervoort, RW; Torfs, PJJF and van Ogtrop, FF. (2008) Does Irrigation Delay or Prolong Local Drought: Moisture Recycling and Climate Feedback [online]. In: Lambert, Martin (Editor); Daniell, TM (Editor); Leonard, Michael (Editor). Proceedings of Water Down Under 2008. Modbury, SA: Engineers Australia ; Causal Productions,: 749-758.
- van Ogtrop, FF and Vervoort, RW (2008). "The Behaviour of Hydrological Model Parameters in Extreme Environments: Constants or Variables?" In: Lambert, Martin (Editor); Daniell, TM (Editor); Leonard, Michael (Editor). Proceedings of Water Down Under 2008.
- van Ogtrop, F. F., A. Y. Hoekstra, F. van der Meulen (2005). "Flood management in the Lower Incomati River Basin, Mozambique: Two alternatives." Journal of the American Water Resources Association 41(3): 607-619.