Details, Terms & Conditions of Competition
Part A – Competition Details
Sydney Alumni Magazine 2013 Travel Photo Competition ‘People, Places and Nature’.
How to enter
Submit your photograph by completing the submission form online
First prize will be awarded the following prize:
One MacBook Pro 13" with Retina Display 2.5GHz Core i5 8GB/128GB Flash Storage
1 runner up will be awarded the following prize: an iPod Touch 32GB
A ‘People’s Choice’ winner will be awarded the following prize: an iPod Touch 32GB
The competition commences at 9am on Friday 1 March 2013 and entries must be submitted to the Promoter no later than 11.59pm on Friday 1 November 2013.
Who may enter
Entry is only open to students, alumni, donors and staff of the University, other than staff or family of staff of the Division of Alumni and Development who are residents of Australia.
Maximum number of entries per individual entrant
One entry per person per calendar month.
Additional entry instructions
To enter you must complete the online entry form and upload a single image. Visit the online form to view the information required.
Each entry must comply with the following requirements (the "Photograph Requirements"):
- Photographs must be in digital format. Only online entries will be eligible.
- All digital files must be 5 megabytes or smaller, must be in JPEG or JPG format, and must be at least 1,600 pixels wide (if a horizontal image) or 1,600 pixels tall (if a vertical image).
- Photographs must have been taken within two (2) years from the competition commencement date and must not have previously won an award in a photography competition.
- Photographs must be real, and only minor burning, dodging and/or colour correction is acceptable, as is cropping. Stitched panoramas are not acceptable. Any changes to the original photograph other than those listed above will render the photograph ineligible for a prize. Black and white images are acceptable.
- The caption must be complete and accurate, sufficient to convey the circumstances in which the photograph was taken. Disguising or misrepresenting the origin of your content is cause for disqualification.
- Entries will be judged together, in accordance with the Judging Criteria, as defined below.
- The Promoter reserves the right to examine the original photograph/source material in order to confirm compliance with these rules.
The judging panel will comprise the Editor, Sydney Alumni Magazine, one team-member each from the Promoter’s Alumni and Events Office and the central Marketing and Communications team and a faculty member from the Sydney College of Arts. The Judges will shortlist 13 photographs, and then select a First Prize Winner, a runner up and 11 honourable mentions based on the Judging criteria below.
Of the 13 shortlisted photographs, an online vote will take place and the photograph with the highest number of votes will be deemed the ‘People’s Choice’ award.
2. Composition and quality
3. Originality/authenticity of content
On or around Monday 18 November
Prize winner notification
Winners will be notified by email and their full name will be published in the March 2014 edition of the Sydney Alumni Magazine.
Claiming the prize
Prizes will be delivered to the winner at no cost
Part B – Terms & Conditions for University Competition
- The terms and conditions (“Terms”) applicable to the game of skill described in Part A (the “Competition”) are contained in Part A and in Part B. The Terms in Part A will prevail to the extent of any inconsistency with Part B.
- The Competition will be conducted by The University of Sydney (ABN 15 211 513 464 and CRICOS Number 00026A) (the “Promoter”) during the period specified in Part A (the “Competition Period”).
- The Terms may be amended or replaced by the Promoter in its absolute discretion and at any time.
- Entry into the Competition is deemed acceptance of the Terms (as amended from time to time).
- Entry is open only to residents of Australia who comply with any entry restrictions specified in these Terms.
- To enter the Competition, entrants must, during the Competition Period, follow the entry method and instructions specified in Part A.
- Entries must be received by the Promoter during the Competition Period. Entrants may submit up to the maximum number of entries specified in Part A. Multiple entries (where permitted) must be submitted separately and if the Competition requires the submission of a creative work, each entry by the same entrant must be unique and original. If an entrant submits multiple entries in excess of the permitted maximum, only the entry or entries most recently submitted (up to the permitted maximum) will be accepted by the Promoter.
- If a photograph submitted as part of an entry contains any material or elements that are not owned by the entrant and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the photograph, the entrant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the photograph without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any photograph is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
- Upon Promoter’s request, each entrant must be prepared to provide (within five (5) business days from receipt of Promoter’s request) a signed release from all persons who appear in the photograph submitted, and/or from the owner of any material that appears in the photograph entry, authorising the Promoter to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the entry in connection with the Competition and promotion of the Competition, in any media now or hereafter known. All releases must be in the form provided by Promoter. Failure to provide such releases upon request may result in disqualification at any time during the Competition and selection of an alternate winner.
- By entering the Competition, all entrants grant an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide non-exclusive license to the Promoter, to reproduce, distribute, display and create derivative works of the entries (along with a name credit) in connection with the Competition and promotion of the Competition, in any media now or hereafter known, including, but not limited to: publication in the Sydney Alumni Magazine, publishing on the SAM Online website, the Alumni and Friends website, and other digital channels such as e-newsletters and University websites, and any printed material such as a calendar. Display or publication of any entry by the Promoter does not indicate the entrant will be selected as a winner. The Promoter will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use.
- Each entrant is responsible for notifying the Promoter of any changes to his/her residential address, email address or phone number during and after the Competition Period.
- The Competition is a game of skill, chance plays no part in determining the winner/s and each validly submitted entry will be individually judged by representatives of the Promoter as specified in Part A, on the basis of originality and creativity, and according to any other criteria specified or adopted by the Promoter.
- A decision of the Promoter in relation to the conduct of the Competition, including the selection of winning entries, is binding and conclusive and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Unless otherwise specified in Part A, winners will be notified by phone and/or email within 2 business days after the judging date. Each entrant consents to the Promoter publishing details of a winner or winning entry on its website.
- Unless otherwise specified in Part A, prizes must be claimed within 1 month of the judging date. If a prize is event-based or contains perishable goods, the prizes will be forfeited in full if not claimed by their expiry date. If a prize is not claimed within the specified time, the Promoter may, at its discretion, withdraw the prize or award the prize to the next best valid entry or entries.
- Prizes are not transferable or redeemable for cash. The prizes or any element of the prizes cannot be exchanged for any other prize/s. The contents of the prizes will be at the Promoter’s sole discretion.
- If the prize includes vouchers or tickets, the prize is valid until the expiry date specified on the voucher or ticket (or its provider), and subject to the conditions stipulated by the provider. Such prizes cannot be redeemed for further vouchers or tickets, and are not exchangeable for cash.
- If a prize involves the winner or winning entry participating in an event, if any part of the event is postponed, cancelled or varied for any reason, then at the Promoter’s discretion, the winner forfeits all rights to participate in the relevant event and no cash or alternative prize will be substituted for that element of the prize.
- Any expense, including taxes, spare parts or maintenance associated with accepting, taking or using a prize, will be the prize winner’s sole responsibility.
- The Promoter makes no warranties or representations about the fitness for purpose or suitability of any prize and will not accept responsibility for the quality or fitness for any purpose of any prize, or the failure of any prize to be of merchantable quality. If liability under terms implied by legislation cannot be excluded by the Promoter, the liability of the Promoter is limited to re-supplying the relevant goods or services or paying the cost of replacing them.
- No responsibility will be taken by the Promoter for any changes in dates, times or cancellations or other arrangements that may prevent a winner from accepting, taking or using a prize.
- The Promoter may, in its absolute discretion, disqualify:
a) any entry which is not original, is not completed in accordance with these Terms, infringes the intellectual property rights of any third party, contains any objectionable or poor quality content, or has the potential to damage the reputation of any person; or
b) any individual who tampers with the entry process, submits an entry that is not in accordance with the Terms, or who has in the opinion of the Promoter, engaged in unlawful or improper conduct that is designed to, or is likely to, adversely affect the fair and proper conduct of the Competition or is generally damaging to the goodwill or reputation of the Promoter.
- The Promoter reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, at any time before the awarding of the prizes to cancel or vary a competition, or cancel, vary or withdraw its prizes. If the Promoter cancels or varies a competition, or cancels, varies or withdraws its prizes, is not:
a) liable to any person for any costs, loss or damage whatsoever arising out of, or in connection with, such cancellation, variation or withdrawal; or
b) required to conduct the Competition at any other time.
- The Promoter accepts no responsibility for late, lost, incorrectly submitted or misdirected entries, for any technological malfunction or failure, Internet traffic congestion, or for outdated or incorrect contact details by which the entrant cannot be contacted during business hours on relevant dates.
- Entrants enter the Competition at their sole risk. With the exception of liability which cannot be excluded by law, the Promoter is not be liable for, and an entrant releases the Promoter from, liabilities relating to any direct or indirect loss or damage which is suffered, or for personal injury or sickness suffered or sustained, as a result of entering the Competition, failing to win, winning, accepting or using a prize.