ATSC: Labs and Studios
- Acoustic research measuring and testing equipment for laboratory and field use.
- Reverberation Room
- Anechoic Chamber
Standard Testing Apparatus
- Absorption Coefficient materials testing
- Loudspeaker Response and Radiation Patterns
- Speech Intelligibility HATS
- Sound Intensity
- Sound Power
- Sound level Analysers and Meters
- Binaural Recording Systems
- Sound Intensity Probe
- STC Wall Rating Measurement
- 3D Soundfield Microphone
- Noise Monitoring
- Data Loggers
Student Loan Equipment
Yellow Box (8 Sets) contents;
- Sound Level Meter (Bruel & Kjaer 2240)
- Lux Meter (Goldilux)
- Temperature and Humidity Meter (Vaisala HM 34)
- Laser Distance Meter (Disto Lite Leica )
- Anemometer (Davis Turbometer)
- Tape Measure (Stanley 8 metre)
- Compass (Silva)
Postgrad Acoustic / Audio Student Loan Equipment
Orange Box (4 Sets) contents;
- Laptop (Dell M20 PC)
- USB Sound Acquisition Unit (Edirol UA-25) Software
- Adobe Audition 1.5 with Aurora plug in
- SMAART 5
- Ease 4
- Win MLS 2000 (Set 1 and 2)
- Pulse 9 Sound Quality (Dongle required)
- Noise Explorer (Dongle Required)
Environmental Measurement Equipment
The Yellow Boxes contain all the environmental measurement tools. Research Standard Lighting, Colour Measurement and Thermal Comfort systems are currently maintained and managed out of the Acoustic Laboratory.
To arrange a loan of any of the above equipment please email Ken () with your requirements along with your student number and contact details.
As part of the Graduate Audio Design program in conjunction with the Acoustics laboratories there are two audio studios. The Surround Sound Studio is a 5.1 post production room using a protools based system where students can edit and mix surround sound projects. The Audio Research Lab and Recording studio is an acoustically treated space where students learn and experiment how to record everything from vocals to foley. There are other editing spaces available including the mac labs where students can complete their work. All these spaces are available 24h hours a day with an access card and technical support is available during normal working hours. Contact regarding room bookings.
Audio equipment is also available for hire including compact flash recorders and other microphones.
Contact () with your requirements including your mobile number and student number.
The Digital Fabrication facilities at the University are among the most extensive and diverse within Australia. Supported by the adjacent Wood Technology and Metalastics studios, the Digital Fabrication Laboratory is a hub for research, innovation and advanced fabrication available to all staff and students in the Faculty. The Laboratory makes a wide range of materials available to all users including timber, metal, plastic, foam and rubber for use in all of the ATSC fabrication studios. The facilities include:
- ‘Trotec’ laser cutter with Feed-through functionality and Rotary (1200x760mm)
- ‘Universal’ laser cutters (810x450mm)
- Multicam CNC router (2500mm x 1300mm)
- ZCorp Z510 Colour Powder printer
- ZCorp 310 Monochrome Powder printer
- Projet HD Plastics printer
In addition, the Digital Fabrication Laboratory works closely with the Tin Sheds Art workshops and in conjunction with staff and students has begun research into the use of ceramic powder printing using the ZCorp 310 monochrome powder printer.
The Metalastics studio provides metal and plastics model and prototype fabrication facilities for staff and students within the Faculty. The extensive range of hand tools and machinery available to users includes:
- Metal and Perspex Bandsaw
- Disc Sanders
- Sheet Metal Bender and Plastics Bender
- Metal Roller
- Vacuum Former
- Metal Casting, Welding and Soldering
- Spray Booth
- Foam Cutter
The Metalastics studio provides a work space to a number of Tin Sheds Art workshops and functions as an experimental studio space for research into materials through development of prototypes and models. Access to the Metalastics Studio for staff and students is provided upon the completion of the Safety Induction and Competency Course (SICC).
Wood Technology Studio
The Wood Technology Studio (WTS) is available to staff and students from all programs in the Faculty for the fabrication of design models and prototypes, construction details and objects. The studio provides a wide range of timber species, board material and various recycled timber products and is equipped with a full range of hand tools and machinery including:
- Table Saw
- Band Saws
- Spindle and Disc Sanders