Consultations and Appointments
to make an appointment outside of these hours.
- The analysis of urbanisation trends and linkages to economic performance
- Governance and urban planning and management systems
- The characteristics of Pacific squatter and informal settlements
- Understanding and measuring the dimensions of urban poverty
- Effective planning responses to urban informal development (land, housing and services).
- Mobilisation of customary land for urban development.
- Urbanisation indicators and goals to measure performance.
- Conceptualising the city and its functionality.
- Plan 9049 | Development Planning and Policy
- Plan 9068 | History and Theory in Urban Planning
- Plan 9064 | Land Use and Infrastructure Planning
- PhD | University of Queensland
- Masters of Urban and Regional Planning | University of New England
- Masters (Development Geography) | The University of Sydney
- Postgraduate Diploma in Urban Studies | Macquarie University
- Bachelor of Arts (Economic Geography) | Macquarie University
- 2006 | Adjunct Associate Professor, Urban and Regional Planning Program, Faculty of Architecture, Design and Planning, University of Sydney.
- 2001 | Team Leader, ADB Technical Assistance Program, 'Capacity Building in Urban Management TA, Samoa'. This program was responsible for the development of the new Planning and Urban Management Agency (PUMA) in Samoa in 2003.
- 1997 | Team Leader, AusAID Institutional Strengthening Program of the Land and Urban Management Division, Tarawa, Republic of Kiribati, Central Pacific, (1997-2000).
- 1993 | Team Leader, Albury-Wodonga Region Planning Committee, 'Our Future in Balance', Albury Wodonga Development Corporation (from 1992).
- Corporate Member | Planning Institute of Australia
- Corporate Member | Papua New Guinea Physical Planners Association
Paul Jones came to the Urban and Regional Planning and Policy Program on a full time basis at the beginning of 2011 with diverse experience as a planning practitioner, and an excellent academic record. Paul is an urban development and management practitioner with 30 years professional experience in developing sustainable urban management, urban development and planning solutions in Australia and overseas.
In the 1980s and early 1990's, Paul gained valuable mainstream planning experience in Australia. This included working in the Strategic Planning Department of the City of Sydney Council, and then the Planning and Engineering Division of the Albury Wodonga Development Corporation, a 'new town' experiment modeled on Milton Keynes in the UK. At the end of 1992, Paul moved to the Pacific Islands and has spent the last 20 years specialising in urban management and urban development projects in the Pacific Region. This has included working in Papua New Guinea, Kiribati, Samoa, Fiji Islands, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Marshall Islands, as well as Philippines, China, Israel and Thailand. The latter includes living over 8 years full time in the small low lying atoll nation of Kiribati as its 'first urban development planner'.
In the above setting, Paul has been working on the conceptualization, design and institutional strengthening associated with urban management and urban development projects in the Pacific Region. Experience has focused on better managing human settlements including the roles of Team Leader and policy adviser in all aspects of urban management project design, development and implementation including project concept design, project feasibility, institutional evaluation, capacity building, institutional strengthening, and environmental and social assessment of human settlements. Key professional highlights include Team Leader for the design and establishment of the new Planning and Urban Management Agency (PUMA) for Samoa (2002-2004), the Fiji Urban Policy Action Plan (2004), the design of the Kiritimati Island Water and Sanitation Project (2006-2008), presentation on Pacific urban management and development issues to the World Urban Forum, Nanjing, China (2008), and leading the team for the preparation of the first National Urbanisation Policy for PNG, 2010-2030 (2009 - 2010).
Key development agency experience includes UN Habitat, Asian Development Bank (ADB), AusAID, NZAid, United Nations Development Program (UNDP), UNCHS, UNESCO, UNESCAP, SOPAC, CLGF, the Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat (PIFS), Pacific Economic Cooperation Council (PECC) and SPREP (South Pacific Region Environment Programme). From July 2009 to end 2010, Paul was working as the National Urbanisation Adviser for PNG based in Port Moresby, developing with counterparts a national urbanisation policy, and designing and implementing land development projects on urban customary land. This position was funded by AusAID and based in the newly created Office of Urbanisation.
Paul is a corporate member of the Planning Institute of Australia (PIA) - since 1986 - and a member of the Papua New Guinea Physical Planners Association.
2012 | Jones, P. [[i||The State of Pacific Towns and Cities | Urbanization in ADB's Pacific Developing Member Countries]], Asian Development Bank, Manila, Philippines
2011 | Choudhury, B, Jones, P. Adaptive Measures to Resduce Climate Change Induced Urban Migration - Some Insights from Bangladesh. Paperback. VDM Printers.
Jones, P. 2012 (forthcoming September, 2012). Better Managing the Performance and Condition of Pacific Towns and Cities - the Case for Pacific Urbanisation Development Goals and Indicators. National Research Institute (NRI) of Papua New Guinea. Publication as a Discussion Paper/Special Publication/Monograph.
2011 | Jones, P. 'Pacific Urbanisation and the rise of informal settlements: trends and implications from Port Moresby.' Urban Policy and Research, Routledge, Australia.
2012 | Jones, P. (approved for publication). Searching for a little bit of Utopia - understanding the growth of squatter and informal settlements in Pacific towns and cities. Australian Planner.
2012 | Jones, P. Managing Urbanisation in Papua New Guinea: Planning for Planning’s Sake? Working Paper No. 33, Alfred Deakin Research Institute, Deakin University, Geelong. August.
2012 | Jones, P. Pacific Urbanisation and the Rise of Informal Settlements: Trends and Implications from Port Moresby. Urban Policy and Research, Vol.30, No.2, pp. 145-160.
2012 | Jones, P. The Challenges of Implementing Millennium Development Goal Target 7D in Pacific Island Towns and Cities, Asia-Pacific Development Journal, Vol.19, No.1. June, pp. 139-162.
2011 | Jones, P. 'The meaning of urbanisation in the Pacific Islands Context', The Development Bulletin, Development Studies Network, Research School of Social Science, The Australian National University.
2007 | Jones, P. 'Placing Urban Management and Development on the Development Agenda in the Pacific Islands', Australian Planner, Planning Institute of Australia, International Planning Edition, March.
2007 Jones, P. & Lea, J, 'What has happened to urban reform in the island Pacific? Some lessons from Kiribati and Samoa', Pacific Affairs, Vancouver, Vol 80, NO. 3.
2005 | Jones, P., 'Managing Urban Development in the Pacific - Key Themes and Issues', Australian Planner, Planning Institute of Australia, Vol. 39, No. 4, Canberra.
1996 | Jones, P, Taulealo, T. and Kohlhase, J, 'Growing Pacific Towns and Cities - Samoa's new planning and urban management system', Australian Planner, Royal Australian Planning Institute, November, Vol. 33, No. 3, Canberra.
1993 | Jones, P., 'Urbanisation in Kiribati: Challenging Traditional and Modern Management Approaches', Development Bulletin, Vol 29, Australian Development Studies Network, Australian National University, Canberra. December.
1992 | Jones, P., 'Transfer of Planning Powers at Albury-Wodonga', New Planner, Journal of the Planning Profession of NSW, Royal Australian Planning Institute, No. 7, Sydney, April.
1986 | Jones, P, 'The implications of Sydney's central business district on the Centers Policy for the Sydney Region', The Valuer, Journal of the Institute of Valuers, Vol. 39, No. 4, Sydney.
1985 | Jones, P., 'Sydney's City Centre Faces New Challenges', Australian Planner, Journal of the Royal Australian Planning Institute, Canberra, March.
1981 | Jones, P., 'Inner City Boom Depletes Housing Stock', Australian Planner, Journal of the Royal Australian Planning Institute, Canberra, March.
2012 | Jones, P. Pacific Urbanisation and the Emergence of Village Cities. The 10th International Urban Planning and Environment Symposium, University of Sydney, July 26.
2012 | Jones, P. and Kep. M. Understanding Urbanisation in the PNG Context. Conference on ‘PNG Securing a Prosperous Future’, Alfred Deakin Research Institute, Deakin University, Geelong, April 13.
2011 | Jones, P., 'Pacific Urbanisation and the Future of the Rural Village in the City', Asia Pacific Network for Housing Research, University of Hong Kong, Refereed Conference Paper, November.
2011 | Jones, P., 'Urban Poverty in Pacific Towns and Cities and the Impacts from the Global Financial Crisis - Insights from Port Moresby', Papua New Guinea, Congress Proceedings of the Planning Institute of Australia 2011 National Congress, 7-9 March.
2003 | Jones, P, 'Planning for Urban Management in the Pacific'. Paper presented to the Commonwealth Association of Planners, Pacific Islanders Forum, Planning Institute of Australia, Brisbane, November.
Urbanisation in the Pacific
- 2011 | Jones, P, Population and Development - the need to focus on the nexus between Urban Planning and Health in the Pacific Islands, New Planner, Magazine of the NSW Planning Institute of Australia, issue 87.
- 2011 | Jones, P., "Australian aid isn't getting where it needs to be", in the Conversation, July 13.
- First National Urbanisation Policy (2010-2030). (Papua New Guinea).
- 2010 | Jones, P., "Urban poverty in Port Moresby, Understanding how households cope and adapt.", Paper presented to the seminar on the National Urbanisatio Policy for Papua New Guinea, 2010-2030, University of Papua New Guinea, Port Moresby, October.
- 2009 | Jones, P., "Squatters in Kiritimati Island - Issues, Options and Directions", Draft Discussion paper, Asian development bank technical assistance. No 4878. - KIR: Integrated Land and Population Program on Kiritimati Island, Kiribati, Manilla.
- 2007 | Jones, P. and Holzknecht, H, "Review of social changes that impact on land in the pacific", Land Mangagement and Conflict Minismisation Project (Sub Project 2.2), Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat, Suva.
- 2003 | Jones, P., Urban Development in Pacific Island Countries - Key Issues, Paper presented to the UNESCAP, UNDP, UN-HABITAT and Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat Pacific Regional Workshop on Pacific Urban Management and Development. Nadi. December
- 2002 | Jones, P, and Cocks, J. "Wastewater impacts on the environment in Apia", paper presented to the National Samoa Environment Day Forum, National University of Samoa, National Environment Week, Apia, November.
- 2002 | Jones, P, and Kohlhase, J, "Planning for Apia - everybody's but nobody's business", in Samoa Environmental Forum, No. 3, Apia.
- 1999 | Jones P, Falkland, T. et al. "Issues, Traditions and Conflicts in Groundwater Use and Management", Report for Water Research Foudnation of Australia and UNESCO. Groundwater Recharge in Low Coral Islands, South Tarawa, Republic of Kiribati. UNESCO-IHP Humic Tropic Programme. Water Research Foundation of Australia. May, Canberra.
- 1998 | Jones, P., 'The relationship of land tenure issues to urban land management", Paper to the AusAID symposium and Workshop on Urban Land Law and Tenure. Ministry of Home Affairs and Rural Developemnt, Otintaai Hotel, South Tarawa, Kiribati, November.
- 1997 | Jones, P, 'Urbanisation and its Socio-Cultural Impact on Pacific Urban Centres', Paper presented to open day, University of the South Pacific (USP), South Tarawa, Kiribati, September.
- 1995 | Jones, P., "Urban management plan for South Tarawa", Government of Kiribati Printer, Bairiki, South Tarawa, Kiribati. July.
- 1995 | Jones, P., "Responding to Urban Change: Observations on Urbanisation, Urban Planning and Urban Management in the Pacific." Government of Kiribati Printer, Bairikki, South Tarawa, Kiribati.
- 1994 | Jones, P., "Urbanisation, Population and Settlement Planning in the Pacific", paper presented to the Royal Australian Planning Institute, The Royal Australian Institute of Architecture, Australian Institute of Landscape Architects and the Local Government Planners Association of Australian Biennial Convention, Hobart, March.
- 1993 | Jones, P., "Urbanisation in Kiribati", National Country Paper presented to the United Nations / ESCAP Ministerial Conference on Urbanisation, Bangkok, Thailand. November.
- 1993 | Jones, P., "Development Standards and What do they mean?", proceedings of a Workshop on 'Economic Development - Standards for Land, Housing, Water, Sewage and Waste in Tarawa', Ministry of Home Affairs and Rural Development, South Tarawa, Kiribati. September.
- 1992 | Jones, P., 'Towards a sustainable development strategy for Albury-Wodonga', paper presented to the seminar on 'Suburbia to Utopia - the Future of the Country City' - The Victorian State Department of Planning, Victoria, Geelong. November.