John Woolley Building Clock
In 1861, Sir Stuart Donaldson, Fellow of Senate, gave the University a clock and bell which was to be placed in the Great Tower. The clock was installed in 1862 when the Main Building was completed. The face of the clock was made by a James McCabe, of Royal Exchange Square, London in 1860. James McCabe was one of the sons of James McCabe Snr (1748-1811), a well respected and famous watchmaker of the time.
The clock was removed in 1928 when the carillon was installed and housed in the Engineering Museum. It was then installed in the 1940 Wing of the Engineering School. The clock is presently located on the south tower of the John