Frequently Asked Questions

Question 1: Do I need to register to use RM8/Records Online? How do I do this?

Answer 1: Having a Unikey does not mean you automatically have access to RM8/Records Online.
You need to register to be a new RM8/Records Online user. This can be done by submitting a request via the ICT Self Service Portal

Question2: I can’t log in to RM8/Records Online. Why?

Answer 2: The main reason you will not be able to log into RM8/Records Online is because you have not yet registered to be a New RM8/Records Online user.
If you previously left the university, your RM8/ Records Online account would have been deactivated. Please contact the Records Online Help Desk to have your profile reactivated

Question3: Can I use a Role Based Account?

Answer 3: Role based accounts are not recommended by Records Management Service, for two main reasons.
Firstly, it is difficult to ensure the security of the record.
Secondly, if the file is requested by another staff member, it is difficult to direct the enquirer to the appropriate person

Question4: What is the difference between RM8 and Records Online?

Answer 4: Records Online is a web interface version of RM8. All information contained in Records Online is the same as RM8

Question5: How do I get RM8 installed on my computer?

Answer 5: RM8 can be installed either in person by a Records Management Services team member, or emailed via a large file transfer and then self-installed

Question6: Can I use RM8 from home, or from my tablet or smart phone?

Answer 6: You will need to download a VPN to access RM8 from home or abroad through your laptop, tablet or smart phone.
How to access & download a VPN

Question7: I am changing departments/leaving the university. Do I need to advise Records Management Services?

Answer 7: It is important that you advise Records Management Services if you are changing faculties/business units or leaving the University. Records Management Services will need to update your RM8/Records Online account to reflect these changes

Question8: How do I know if a file is an official University file?

Answer 8: An official university file can be a variety of colours – red, grey, orange, blue or green. These files will have the University Crest on them and will have a file number. Please contact the Records Online Help Desk for further information regarding official University Files

Question9: I requested a file but only received an empty file cover. Why?

Answer 9: The file you request would have been an electronic file, where no physical documents had been attached

Question10: I’m sure there is a file but I cannot find it. What do I do?

Answer 10: It is likely that you do not have access to view the file you are looking for. Contact the Records Online Help Desk to determine whether you can view the file. In many instances, if you do require access to a file that you do not currently have permission to view, an email from your supervisor is required prior to Records Management Services being able grant access

Question11: Can I view my staff file?

Answer 11: To view your staff file, you will need to contact the Human Resources Services Centre. A HRSC staff member must be present when you are viewing your staff file. Access to University Records & Information

Question12: How can a student view their student file?

Answer 12: The student must contact the faculty and arrange it through them. The faculty will need to request the file, ensure that the file has been page numbered and any third parties names have been redacted. A staff member must be present at all times when a student is looking at their file. Similarly, if a staff member wishes to view their student file, the same procedure applies. Access to University Records & Information

Question13: What can and cannot go on a student file?

Answer 13: Please refer to Part 3 of the University Recordkeeping Manual which is located on the University Intranet.
A Filing Guide for Student Records is also available on the University Intranet. Filing Guide for Student Records

Question14: What is the difference between a student file and an “S” file?

Answer 14: A student file can be requested from Records Management Services and sent out to a staff member so that documents can be reviewed or added to the file. Similarly, documents can be added to the file electronically.
An ‘S’ files is an electronic folder created by Sydney Student. It has a number of electronic subfolders pertaining to aspects of a student’s enrolment and candidature. All information that is placed in this file and the subsequent subfolders comes purely from the Sydney Student System

Question15: The file I want is destroyed. Can I get a copy of the file?

Answer 15: Once a file has been destroyed, all documents both paper and electronic are also destroyed. A student file can be reactivated if the student has reapplied to study at the University. An administrative file cannot be reactivated

Question16: How do I delete a document or file?

Answer 16: Email the Records Online Help Desk. Please provide the document number or file number that is to be deleted, and a brief explanation of why the deletion is required

Question17: I have records that need to be destroyed. How do I do this?

Answer 17: Please refer to the Records Disposal page on the University Intranet
Alternatively, email Records Online to the attention of the Disposal Officer, with a clear description of what is proposed to be destroyed

Question18: A document is in the incorrect file. How do I move the document to the correct file?

Answer 18: Email the Records Online Help Desk, making sure you provide the document number and the file it is to be moved to

Question19: File or document details are incorrect (spelling error, name has been changed, Classification is incorrect etc.) How do I rectify this?

Answer 19: Email the Records Online Help Desk with the file or document number, and advise what is required to be changed

Question20: I have a duplicate file. What do I do with the duplicate file?

Answer 20: Send the duplicate file back to Records Management Services with a note specifying that this is a duplicate copy of a file; and which copy it is a duplicate of

Question21: I found a student that has multiple SID’s. What do I do?

Answer 21: If you find a student file that has multiple SID’s, please email Systems Support and copy Records Online in the email. Once the correct SID has been verified, the changes can be made in RM8/Records Online

Question22: When should I request a new part to a file?

Answer 22: A new part for a file should be requested when the thickness of the file reaches approximately 3cm.
A new part to a student file will have a part number added to the end; e.g. 123456789-02
A new part to an administrative file will have a new record number, but the parts of the file will be linked

Question23: How do I return official University files to Records Management Services?

Answer 23: A file can be sent to Records Management Services via internal mail. Ensure that the file is either in a sealed envelope, wrapped up in brown paper or in a sealed box or post office crate, and addressed to Records Management Services – A14
If you have a large number of files to be returned, please advise the Records Online Help Desk prior to these being sent.
If a file is returned with loose documents, clips to keep paper attached, a thickness of more than 3cm or with documents in plastic sleeves, the files will be returned to you with a Loose Attachment Form, which will specify why the file/s have been returned. Once the issue has been rectified, the file can be sent back to Records Management Services
Please note: Records Management Services do not provide a service to collect files. If you require a large number of files to be picked up from your office, please contact CIS to arrange a courier for pick-up and delivery

Question24: Do you provide training in RM8/Records Online; and what does it involve?

Answer 24: Records Management Services provides monthly training for RM8/Records Online. Dates of training sessions are available on the University’s Intranet, Records Management Services page.
If you are unable to attend one of the scheduled sessions, please contact the Records Online Help Desk and a 1:1 session can be arranged at your desk

Question25: Why am I getting outage emails?

Answer 25: Anyone that is registered to use RM8/Records Online will receive an outage email if an outage is scheduled to take place

Question26: When using RM8 I cannot add anything to my work tray or favourite tray using keyboard shortcuts. Why?

Answer 26:
Within TRIM, you will need to do the following:
o Go to Help
o Select Use Default Layout

Question27: What systems are NOT supported by Records Management Services?

Answer 27:
Records Management Services do not support the following systems within the University:
o Sharepoint
o Peoplesoft
o Sydney Student