Frequently Asked Questions

Question 1: Do I need to register to use RM8/Records Online? How do I do this?
Question2: I can’t log in to RM8/Records Online. Why?
Question3: Can I use a Role Based Account?
Question4: What is the difference between RM8 and Records Online?
Question5: How do I get RM8 installed on my computer?
Question6: Can I use RM8 from home, or from my tablet or smart phone?
Question7: I am changing departments/leaving the university. Do I need to advise Records Management Services?
Question8: How do I know if a file is an official University file?
Question9: I requested a file but only received an empty file cover. Why?
Question10: I’m sure there is a file but I cannot find it. What do I do?
Question11: Can I view my staff file?
Question12: How can a student view their student file?
Question13: What can and cannot go on a student file?
Question14: What is the difference between a student file and an “S” file?
Question15: The file I want is destroyed. Can I get a copy of the file?
Question16: How do I delete a document or file?
Question17: I have records that need to be destroyed. How do I do this?
Question18: A document is in the incorrect file. How do I move the document to the correct file?
Question19: File or document details are incorrect (spelling error, name has been changed, Classification is incorrect etc.) How do I rectify this?
Question20: I have a duplicate file. What do I do with the duplicate file?
Question21: I found a student that has multiple SID’s. What do I do?
Question22: When should I request a new part to a file?
Question23: How do I return official University files to Records Management Services?
Question24: Do you provide training in RM8/Records Online; and what does it involve?
Question25: Why am I getting outage emails?
Question26: When using RM8 I cannot add anything to my work tray or favourite tray using keyboard shortcuts. Why?
Question27: What systems are NOT supported by Records Management Services?

Records Online

Microsoft Outlook Add-In (RM8)

Native Outlook Add-In

  • User Manual

  • Records Explorer (RM8)

    Download the chapters as separate documents:

    Full version:


  • Launching Trim Via Citrix Procedure

  • Other Tools and Facilities

  • Auto E-file of Outlook Messages to TRIM


  • GSE APR User Manual - Panel Chair 2015

  • GSE APR Workflow - Guidelines for PGO 2015

  • GSE APR User Manual - Student - WebForm 2015

  • GSE APR User Manual - Research Supervisor 2015

  • GSE APR User Manual - Second and Third Panel Member 2015

  • GSE APR User Manual - Research Training Director 2015

  • GSE APR User Manual - Auxiliary Supervisor 2015

    Naming Convention Guidelines

  • Advice sheet for naming electronic files and documents

    Faculty of Medicine - Practicum Scanning Procedure

  • Sydney Medical School - Practicum Documentation Scanning & Quality Assurance Procedure

    Frequently Asked Questions - Answers

    Answer 1: Having a Unikey does not mean you automatically have access to TRIM/Records Online.
    You need to register to be a new TRIM/Records Online user. This can be done by submitting a request via the ICT Self Service Portal

    Answer 2: The main reason you will not be able to log into TRIM/Records Online is because you have not yet registered to be a New TRIM/Records Online user.
    If you previously left the university, your TRIM/ Records Online account would have been deactivated. Please contact the Records Online Help Desk to have your profile reactivated

    Answer 3: Role based accounts are not recommended by Records Management Service, for two main reasons.
    Firstly, it is difficult to ensure the security of the record.
    Secondly, if the file is requested by another staff member, it is difficult to direct the enquirer to the appropriate person

    Answer 4: Records Online is a web interface version of TRIM. All information contained in Records Online is the same as TRIM

    Answer 5: TRIM can be installed either in person by a Records Management Services team member, or emailed via a large file transfer and then self-installed

    Answer 6: You will need to download a VPN to access TRIM from home or abroad through your laptop, tablet or smart phone.
    How to access & download a VPN

    Answer 7: It is important that you advise Records Management Services if you are changing faculties/business units or leaving the University. Records Management Services will need to update your TRIM/Records Online account to reflect these changes

    Answer 8: An official university file can be a variety of colours – red, grey, orange, blue or green. These files will have the University Crest on them and will have a file number. Please contact the Records Online Help Desk for further information regarding official University Files

    Answer 9: The file you request would have been an electronic file, where no physical documents had been attached

    Answer 10: It is likely that you do not have access to view the file you are looking for. Contact the Records Online Help Desk to determine whether you can view the file. In many instances, if you do require access to a file that you do not currently have permission to view, an email from your supervisor is required prior to Records Management Services being able grant access

    Answer 11: To view your staff file, you will need to contact the Human Resources Services Centre. A HRSC staff member must be present when you are viewing your staff file. Access to University Records & Information

    Answer 12: The student must contact the faculty and arrange it through them. The faculty will need to request the file, ensure that the file has been page numbered and any third parties names have been redacted. A staff member must be present at all times when a student is looking at their file. Similarly, if a staff member wishes to view their student file, the same procedure applies. Access to University Records & Information

    Answer 13: Please refer to Part 3 of the University Recordkeeping Manual which is located on the University Intranet.
    A Filing Guide for Student Records is also available on the University Intranet. Filing Guide for Student Records

    Answer 14: A student file can be requested from Records Management Services and sent out to a staff member so that documents can be reviewed or added to the file. Similarly, documents can be added to the file electronically.
    An ‘S’ files is an electronic folder created by Sydney Student. It has a number of electronic subfolders pertaining to aspects of a student’s enrolment and candidature. All information that is placed in this file and the subsequent subfolders comes purely from the Sydney Student System

    Answer 15: Once a file has been destroyed, all documents both paper and electronic are also destroyed. A student file can be reactivated if the student has reapplied to study at the University. An administrative file cannot be reactivated

    Answer 16: Email the Records Online Help Desk. Please provide the document number or file number that is to be deleted, and a brief explanation of why the deletion is required

    Answer 17: Please refer to the Records Disposal page on the University Intranet
    Alternatively, email Records Online to the attention of the Disposal Officer, with a clear description of what is proposed to be destroyed

    Answer 18: Email the Records Online Help Desk, making sure you provide the document number and the file it is to be moved to

    Answer 19: Email the Records Online Help Desk with the file or document number, and advise what is required to be changed

    Answer 20: Send the duplicate file back to Records Management Services with a note specifying that this is a duplicate copy of a file; and which copy it is a duplicate of

    Answer 21: If you find a student file that has multiple SID’s, please email Systems Support and copy Records Online in the email. Once the correct SID has been verified, the changes can be made in TRIM/Records Online

    Answer 22: A new part for a file should be requested when the thickness of the file reaches approximately 3cm.
    A new part to a student file will have a part number added to the end; e.g. 123456789-02
    A new part to an administrative file will have a new record number, but the parts of the file will be linked

    Answer 23: A file can be sent to Records Management Services via internal mail. Ensure that the file is either in a sealed envelope, wrapped up in brown paper or in a sealed box or post office crate, and addressed to Records Management Services – A14
    If you have a large number of files to be returned, please advise the Records Online Help Desk prior to these being sent.
    If a file is returned with loose documents, clips to keep paper attached, a thickness of more than 3cm or with documents in plastic sleeves, the files will be returned to you with a Loose Attachment Form, which will specify why the file/s have been returned. Once the issue has been rectified, the file can be sent back to Records Management Services
    Please note: Records Management Services do not provide a service to collect files. If you require a large number of files to be picked up from your office, please contact CIS to arrange a courier for pick-up and delivery

    Answer 24: Records Management Services provides monthly training for TRIM/Records Online. Dates of training sessions are available on the University’s Intranet, Records Management Services page.
    If you are unable to attend one of the scheduled sessions, please contact the Records Online Help Desk and a 1:1 session can be arranged at your desk

    Answer 25: Anyone that is registered to use TRIM/Records Online will receive an outage email if an outage is scheduled to take place

    Answer 26:
    Within TRIM, you will need to do the following:
    o Go to Help
    o Select Use Default Layout

    Answer 27:
    Records Management Services do not support the following systems within the University:
    o Sharepoint
    o IRMA
    o Peoplesoft
    o Sydney Student