Ernest R. Holme, OBE, BA, MA, DLitt (hon.)
Dean of the Faculty of Arts, 1922–25
Ernest Holme, Melbourne-born, completed his degrees in Arts at Sydney University.
He started teaching English literature, French and German in 1894 as an assistant lecturer in the Modern Literature department, and became assistant professor in 1908. In 1921 he was appointed to the foundation McCaughey chair of English Language, and taught until his retirement in 1941.
Holme was the first former student of the faculty to become its dean when, in 1922, he was elected to succeed F. Anderson in the role. He was re-elected for a further term but ill-health prevented his standing for a third term.
Holme was one of the chief movers behind the creation of the university’s war memorials — the carillon and the honour roll — as well as being largely instrumental in the erection of the Union building which now bears his name. He was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire in 1926, and in 1952, shortly before his death, Sydney University conferred on him an honorary doctorate.
Australian Dictionary of Biography