Dr Barry Morris
Barry Morris was awarded my PhD in Social Anthropology from the University of Sydney in 1986. He has taught anthropology at the University of Adelaide, Charles Sturt University and, more recently, the University of Newcastle (1992 to 2013), punctuated by periods as a Visiting Professor at the University of Bergen in 2002 and 2006. He is the author of the books, Domesticating Resistance: the Dhan-gadi Aborigines and the Australian State (Berg Publishers) and Protests, Land Rights and Riots: post colonial struggles in Australia in the 1980s (Aboriginal Studies Press). The research was carried out in south-eastern Australia and focused on Indigenous inequality and marginalisation, race relations and Native Title. The early ethnographic research was conducted on the mid-north coast of New South Wales. The later research began with Dr Thomas Ernst and Dr Kerry Zubrinich at the Brewarrina ‘riot’ trial held in the regional court at Bathurst. His research into Native Title produced connection reports, including the first successful mainland decision regarding the Dhan-gadi Native Title Claim at Crescent Head (1995), and a connection report for the Gumbaingirr people for the successful Gumma Native Title Claim (2010) at Nambucca Heads, NSW. A number of summary reports were also concluded in the mid-north coast region between 1977 and 2004. My current research interests are concerned with the contradictory forces associated with post-settler colonialismand its ensuing political effects.
Currently, he is involved with a major international research program, funded by the European Union and Bergen University, which will consider the different social forms egalitarianism has taken globally. His specific project will concentrate on egalitarianism as it has manifested itself in the changing social and political configurations of settler and post colonial Australia.
- 2013 Morris, B. Protests, Land Rights and Riots: postcolonial politics in Australia in the 1980s, Canberra: Aboriginal Studies Press
- 1989 Morris, B. Domesticating Resistance: The Dhan-gadi Aborigines and the Australian State, Oxford: Berg Publishers. Explorations in Anthropology Series
- 2004 Morris, B. and Bastin, R. (eds) Expert Knowledge: First World Peoples, Consultancy, and Anthropology, Forum Series, Berghahn Press
- 1997 Cowlishaw, G. and Morris, B. (eds) Race Matters: Indigenous Australians and ‘Our’ Aborigines. Canberra: Aboriginal Studies Press
- 1991 Morris, B. and Carrington, K. (eds) Journal for Social Justice Studies, Special Edition, Politics, Punishment and Prisons: Royal Commissions and "Reforms", vol. 4
- 1990 Cowlishaw, G. and Morris, B. (eds) Journal for Social Justice Studies, Special Edition, Contemporary Race Relations in Australia, vol. 3
- 2012 Morris BJ, 'The social genesis of Anzac nationalism', Legends of People Myths of State: Violence, Intolerance, and Political Culture in Sri Lanka and Australia, Kapferer, B., Berghahn Books, 339-362
- 2012 Kapferer B, Morris BJ, 'The Australian society of the state: Egalitarian ideologies and new directions in exclusionary practice', Legends of People Myths of State: Violence, Intolerance, and Political Culture in Sri Lanka and Australia, Berghahn Books, 363-393
- 2010 Lattas A. and Morris BJ, 'The politics of suffering and the politics of anthropology', Culture Crisis: Anthropology and Politics in Aboriginal Australia, (eds) Altman, J. and Hinkson, M. University of New South Wales Press, 61-87
- 2006 Morris, BJ., Kapferer, B., Nationalism and Neo-Populism in Australia: Hansonism and the Politics of the New Right in Australia, in Neo-Nationalism in Europe and Beyond, (eds) Gingrich, A. and Banks, M. Berghahn Books 248-268
- 2012 Morris BJ, 'Borderwork in Indigenous South-Eastern Australia', Oceania, 82 15-27
- 2012 Austin-Broos D, Bastin R, Kapferer B, Merlan F, Morris BJ, Peterson N, et al., 'Responses to David Trigger's article 'Anthropology pure and profane: The politics of applied research in Aboriginal Australia'', Expert Knowledge and the Tide of History. Anthropological Forum, 22 67-93
- 2010 Morris BJ, Lattas A, 'Embedded anthropology and the intervention: Cultural determinism and neo-liberal forms of racial governance', Arena Magazine, 107 15-20
- 2008 Morris BJ, 'A cautious silence: The politics of Australian anthropology', Historical Records of Australian Science, 19 218-220
- 2005 Morris BJ, 'A crisis in identity: Aborigines, media, the law and politics - Civil disturbance in an Australian town', Critique of Anthropology, 25 59-85
- 2004 Morris BJ, 'Abolishing ATSIC in the Enabling State', Australian Journal of Anthropology, 15 324-328
- 2001 Morris BJ, 'Policing Racial Fantasy in the Far West of New South Wales', Oceania, 71:3 242-262.