Majoring in Anthropology
For a more information on the Anthropology subject area, including a complete description of the major and its requirements, and a table and descriptions of units of study available in this area, go to the
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Undergraduate Handbook – Anthropology.
For previous year enrolments: Handbook archive.
Unit of Study prerequisites are also reviewed from time to time. The prerequisites listed for units in your year of enrolment are valid for the duration of your candidature.
Your Pathway commences with the completion of two junior units of study:
Senior units of study in Anthropology are divided into three areas: Regional, Thematic, and Theory and Method, plus 3000-level units. The major requires 36 credit points of senior units. For students starting their degree in or after 2014, there are specific requirements for the senior units. You must complete at least 6 senior credit points from units of study in each area. A further 12 senior credit points can be taken in any area. You must also take 6 senior credit points from a 3000-level unit.
- Regional - These units focus on key debates and concepts that characterise both the research of anthropologists in the region and their contribution to broader debates in anthropology. They aim to build substantial ethnographic knowledge.
- Thematic - These units focus on major aspects of social life that are the basis of wider projects of comparison and generalisation.
Thematic units available: + Thematic units available: -
- ANTH2625 Culture and Development
- ANTH2627 Medical Anthropology
- ANTH2628 Migration and Migrant Cultures
- ANTH2654 Forms of Families
- ANTH2667 The Anthropology of Religion
- ANTH2629 Race and Ethnic Relations
- ANTH2653 Economy and Culture
- ANTH2621 Initiation Rituals
- ANTH2626 The City: Global Flows and Local forms
- ANTH2622 Ethnographic Film
- ANTH2614 The Anthropology of Cognitive Systems
- ANTH2623 Gender: Anthropological Studies
- Theory and Method - These units explicitly focus on anthropological theory and methods. For students completing a major, it is recommended that you include both ANTH2631, (Research) Method in Anthropology and ANTH2666, History of Anthropological Thought, but these are not compulsory.
- 3000-level units: ANTH3601, Contemporary Theory and Anthropology, and ANTH3602, Reading Ethnography.
You should note that 36 credit points of senior units is a minimum requirement for the major. Depending on the other requirements of your degree program and other majors you may have chosen, you may be able to enrol in extra senior units in Anthropology.
Eligibility for the Honours program in Anthropology requires an average mark of 70% or above in 48 senior credit points of Anthropology.