Christie’s is offering an internship place for a University of Sydney student at their London offices.
You can apply if you will be a Postgraduate or Honours student in 2017 or if you completed your Postgraduate or Honours studies at the end of 2016.
Duration: expected to be 10 weeks within the period of mid-April to end-June 2017; exact timing to be negotiated with Christie's and your University of Sydney course coordinator; appropriate measures will be put in place to solve any possible coursework attendance or submission issues.
Funding from Christie’s: payment of circa £240 per week.
Funding from SLAM: $5000 towards the cost of travel and accommodation
Visa: Christie’s will assist and sponsor the student for an appropriate working visa for the period of the internship. Christie’s will cover the cost of the sponsorship but the candidate will be required to submit personal paperwork for the application and pay a visa application fee.
The successful candidate will be expected to keep a journal of their experiences that will not become publicly available, and a one-off piece of writing to be done after the internship which may be used by the University of Sydney for documentary and publicity purposes.
1. Have been a current Honours or Postgraduate University of Sydney student in 2016, or
Be applying to commence as an Honours or Postgraduate student in 2017.
2. Have completed their undergraduate degree by the end of 2016.
3. Have an undergraduate degree which includes a major in Art History, or a related discipline.
4. Be able to demonstrate not only a strong academic track record in appropriate fields, but also a range of skills and
experience that will prepare them for work in a busy professional environment.
5. Be motivated, self-directed, able to work in teams in pressurised situations, and
confident in interacting professionally with staff and members of the public.
6. Be competent with basic software such as Word, Excel and Outlook is required.
Language skills beyond English will be helpful.
If the successful candidate is enrolled at a Master or Graduate Diploma level in the Museum Studies, Museum and Heritage Studies, Art Curatorship or Art Curating Masters or Graduate Diploma programs, the internship may be credited as an internship unit of study.
Read about the previous winner's experience
Art history at the University of Sydney presents an attractive study option for creative, visually aware people, and the internship offers an extremely valuable experience for students. You can read about a previous year's winner, Master of Art Curating candidate Jerico Tracy’s experience here.
1. CV of no more than three pages including names of two referees
2. One-page letter of motivation that states your interest in the internship, outlines the skills, experience and interests that qualify you to apply, and articulates the potential importance of the internship to your study and future career
3. Evidence of enrolment/application to commence in 2017 at the University of Sydney in Postgraduate Coursework or Honours course, if applicable.
4. Completed Application Form
Applications to be sent by email to
Please see the Frequently Asked Questions to assist you with any queries. If you have a query that is not answered on this page, please email your question to
The closing date for applications is 9am Friday 20 January.
The shortlist process will be completed in the following week.
Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed on 2 February 2017.
Selection will be completed in early February 2017