The Department of Chinese Studies is a vigorous centre of research activity across many aspects of Chinese Studies, drawing on the department’s long history in Chinese education and research. It provides excellent opportunities for research on Chinese language, literature, culture, and many other areas, supported by outstanding library resources and services. Members of the department maintain strong profiles with a wide range of research interests.
The Department has research strengths in the following broad areas:
- Modern Standard Chinese language education
- Classical Chinese language
- Chinese linguistics, discourse studies, and translation studies
- Chinese literature, classical and modern
- Chinese media and communication
- Chinese history
For details, please see the profiles of individual academic staff.
Proposals are invited from potential Honours, MA (Research), MPhil, and PhD students, and visiting scholars for possible supervision and collaboration.