Dr Anne Rogerson
Charles Tesoriero Lecturer in Latin
Department of Classics and Ancient History
School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry (SOPHI)
Quadrangle Building A14
The University of Sydney
NSW 2006 Australia
Office: J6.02, Main Quad
Phone: (02) 9036 6017
Fax: (02) 9351 3918
Fields of Expertise
- Latin epic and lyric poetry
- Youth, adolescence and maturation in Roman literature
- The reception and afterlife of Virgil’s Aeneid
- BA (Hons), BSc (University of Sydney)
- PhD (University of Cambridge)
- (2014), entries on John Conington, W. Warde Fowler, Sir Roger Mynors, Henry Nettleship and Thomas E. Page, in: R. F. Thomas & J. Ziolkowski (eds), Virgil Encyclopedia, (Wiley-Blackwell: Malden, MA).
(2013), ‘Vegio’s Ascanius: Problems in the continuation of the Aeneid’, Classical Receptions Journal 5.1, pp. 106-25. Electronic access available here.
- (2013), entries on John Conington, W. Warde Fowler, Sir Roger Mynors, Henry Nettleship and Thomas E. Page, in: R. F. Thomas & J. Ziolkowski (eds), Virgil Encyclopedia, (Wiley-Blackwell: Malden, MA).
- (2012), ‘Sex and the city: Ovid’s elegiac Rome’, Classicum 38.2 pp. 17-24.
- (2007), ‘Conington’s Roman Homer’, in: C. Stray (ed.), Oxford Classics: Teaching and Learning 1800-2000, (Duckworth: London), pp. 94-106.
- (2007), ‘An Introduction to Conington’s Aeneid’, in: J. Conington (ed.), Virgil: Eclogues, Georgics, Aeneid, Vols II.1 and III.1, (Bristol Phoenix Press: Bristol).
- (2002), ‘Dazzling Likeness: seeing ekphrasis in Aeneid 10’, Ramus 31: Ekphrasis in Classical Literature, pp. 51-72.
- (2000), ‘The Successors to Augustus’, Classicum 26.1, pp. 6-14.
- CR 63.2 (2013). Review of C. Kallendorf (2007), The Other Virgil: Pessimistic Readings of the Aeneid in Early Modern Culture, (Oxford University Press: Oxford).
- BMCR 2012.04.08 (2012). Review of J. J. O’Hara (ed) (2011), Vergil: Aeneid Book 4, (Focus Publishing: Newburyport, MA).
- BMCR 2010.11.23 (2010). Review of C. Perkell (ed.) (2010), Vergil: Aeneid Book 3, (Focus Publishing: Newburyport, MA).
- JRS 100 (2010). Review of L. Fratantuono (2009), A Commentary on Virgil, Aeneid XI, (Éditions Latomus: Bruxelles).
- JRS 99 (2009). Review of J. J. O’Hara (2007), Inconsistency in Roman epic: studies in Catullus, Lucretius, Vergil, Ovid and Lucan, (Cambridge University Press: Cambridge).
- CR 57.2 (2007). Review of R. A. Smith (2005), The Primacy of Vision in Virgil’s Aeneid, (University of Texas Press: Austin).
Anne is a regular contributor to the Self Improvement Wednesday slot on Richard Glover’s Drive program on ABC702. Previous topics include:
- Ancient Roman attitudes to youth (9 March 2011)
- Political spin in ancient Greece and Rome (1 June 2011)
- The game of Troy (5 October 2011)
- Time in the ancient world (15 February 2012)
- The presence of Latin in English (23 May 2012)
- The Colosseum: a monument to imperial power (8 August 2012)
- Virgil in the Renaissance: fan fiction from the 15th century (14 November 2012)
- Self-Improvement Wednesday regulars’ panel on Thank God Its Friday (7 December 2012)
- The presence of Latin in English (repeated by popular demand, 12 December 2012)
- Fine Dining and Celebrity Chefs in Ancient Rome (27 February 2013)
Virgil’s Ascanius: promises and problems in the Aeneid.