Step 4: Credit and Prerequisite Applications

Applying for credit or a prerequsite waiver


I would like to seek credit for previous tertiary or university study

If you were offered credit as part of your application for admission, that credit should be available to you at the time of enrolment, and you will be able to plan your enrolment accordingly. For example; if you were offered and accepted credit for two specific junior units of History, you would not need to complete those.

When making an application for credit please note; there may be restrictions on what units can be credited to your new course, and the amount of credit that may be transferred. This will depend on the resolutions or rules of your new course so think about what you want to apply for and consider the following:

  • Does the credit I am applying for fit into my course or will I exceed the junior credit point limit?
  • Will there still be room in my course to complete any core units of study and pre requisites that are associated with my major(s) and the core units of study that I must do as part of my overall course?
  • Will I be able to take eight senior units of study in a subject area and meet the requirements for Honours?

When should I apply?

If you have not received an offer of credit before enrolment you can still apply after you have enrolled. You should enrol first, and choose subjects as if you were not receiving credit, then apply for credit.

If your credit application is successful and you receive credit you will be able to amend your enrolment accordingly. If you need any advice about what you should take, please contact us.

I am applying for credit for studies taken previously at The University of Sydney

Even if you have already completed Arts and Social Sciences units of study in this Faculty; we will not automatically transfer these units to your new course. Your new course will have new rules and sometimes not all of the units of study fit and sometimes students want to make new choices.

More information about credit, including how to apply, can be found here.

I want to waive prerequisites for the unit of study I wish to take

You can apply for a waiver if you think that you have already met the prerequisites for senior units of study and don’t need to enrol in the necessary junior units. This might happen because you have covered the material elsewhere. For instance you might have language skills which you have not completed in your formal studies as part of your HSC.

There are rules about waiving prerequisites and you will need to seek permission from the academic department that teaches the subject area.

You can apply to waive pre-requisites through the special permission process during unit of study selection.

I am applying for credit for studies taken at another university (external credit), how do I apply?

More information about credit, including how to apply, can be found here.