Undertaking coursework units of study

The 'Doctor of Arts' and the 'Doctor of Social Sciences' are the only postgraduate research degrees in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences that contain a mandatory coursework component. For all other Postgraduate Research degrees, coursework study is optional but may be recommended by the relevant department or discipline.

Candidates may apply to enrol in undergraduate or postgraduate coursework units of study in any department or Faculty of the University. For local/domestic candidates, there will be no charge for approved coursework study. For international candidates, there will be no additional tuition fees for approved coursework study.

Standard coursework dates for enrolment and withdrawal apply.

Once approved, coursework units of study will appear on the candidate’s academic record and transcript and official marks and grades will be applied.

Note, professional doctorate (i.e. DArts and DSocSci) candidates may only count postgraduate coursework units of study toward the mandatory coursework component of their degree, however they may apply for permission to undertake additional coursework that may be drawn from the undergraduate or postgraduate curriculum.

All enrolment in specific units of study (including the DArts and the DSocSci) is subject to the approval of the candidate’s supervisor, the candidate’s department or discipline’s Postgraduate Research Coordinator, and the Unit Coordinator or Head of Department for the unit(s) they wish to undertake. After obtaining this signed approval, applications may be submitted in person to the Faculty’s student services counter during standard opening hours. Alternatively, applications may be submitted as a sent from the candidate’s University of Sydney email address.

Candidates will be notified by email after their request is processed.