Credit for study completed in another award course
An application for credit is made when a current or prospective student wishes to have previous studies counted towards their current, or new award course at the University of Sydney. Students who are successful in applying for credit receive advanced standing in their award course (i.e. the credit they receive counts toward the overall number of credit point required for their award course).
There are two main types of credit:
- This type of credit is available to current students of the University of Sydney who previously completed units of study at the University of Sydney under another award.
- This type of credit applies to current or prospective students of the University of Sydney who wish to receive advanced standing on the basis of previous units of study completed at an institution other then the University of Sydney.
The Faculty rules and procedures for approving credit are set out in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Credit undergraduate and postgraduate Policies and Procedures for Credit for Previous Study.
Credit will be offered in accordance with the Faculty resolutions and the specific resolution for the award course in which the student is enrolled. Any student wishing to claim credit towards their current award course must consult the resolutions governing their course in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences handbook for the year in which they are starting.
Once credit has been granted it cannot be removed from a student transcript. Therefore it is important that students plan their degree carefully when applying for credit to ensure that degree requirements can be met. It is also advisable that undergraduate students allow themselves the option of undertaking an Honours year by ensuring that there is room for the completion of at least 48 senior credit points in their chosen area of specialisation. Please refer to the Honours page for further information.
- Students are expected to apply for credit in their first semester of candidature.
- Read the Faculty Policy and complete the appropriate application for credit (internal or external). For External Credit students must complete separate departmental recommendation sheets for each subject area in which credit is being sought. Along with the credit application and departmental recommendation(s) a student must also submit a certified copy of their academic transcript, along with all relevant unit of study outlines or descriptions. The Faculty will then direct the appropriate documents to the relevant Chair of Department who will then make a recommendation based on the level and length of study completed and on the faculty guidelines. Instructions on how to submit the application are included on the form.
- A completed credit application, including all departmental recommendations, must be submitted to the Student Services counter no later than the Deadline mentioned.
Late applications will be held over and assessed in time for the subsequent semester.