Credit for study completed in another award course
If you have previous studies that you would like counted towards your new award course at the University of Sydney, you may be eligible to receive credit for those units.
There are two types of credit:
- This is available if you previously completed eligible units of study at the University of Sydney as part of a different course.
- This applies if you completed eligible units of study at another tertiary institution.
- Use our credit check tool to see if the units you have taken elsewhere have previously been assessed by the faculty. The information on this site is an indication only and does not guarantee the granting of credit
The Faculty provisions and procedures for approving credit are set out in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences undergraduate and postgraduate Procedures for Credit for Previous Study.
Credit is offered in accordance with the Faculty resolutions and the specific resolution for the award course in which you are enrolled. Before applying for credit you should consult the resolutions governing your course in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences handbook for the year you are starting your course.
Once credit has been granted it cannot be removed from your record, so it is important that you plan your degree carefully when applying. This is especially important if you are considering undertaking an honours year as you will need to complete 48 senior credit points in your chosen major. Please refer to the Honours page for further information.
- You should apply for credit in your first semester of study.
- Read the Faculty Provisions.
- Apply online via your student portal this will be available from July 9
- If you are applying for external credit, your application must be accompanied by:
- certified copy of your academic transcript
- all relevant unit of study outlines or descriptions
- Accept any credit that is offered via your student portal available from July 9
- A completed credit application must be submitted via your student portal as soon as possible after accepting your offer online.
Applications for credit that are not submitted before the first week of teaching cannot be guaranteed to be finalised before the last date to add units to your enrolment.
Please visit the University's Important Dates page for more detail on these deadlines