Exceeding Credit Limit
Students are expected to think ahead when choosing their units of study, and plan their studies in order to meet the requirements of their award course. A student should be able to meet the requirements of the award course without needing to exceed the total number of junior and senior credit points allowed.
Under certain circumstances a student can make an application to exceed the credit point limit of their degree, or to exceed the maximum credit points allowed within a semester, but the application must meet the criteria for exceeding credit point limits laid out in the policy.
Please read and consider the Faculty policy on exceeding credit point limits before making an application to exceed.
- After reading the policy a student then needs to download and complete an application to exceed credit point limits.
- The student needs to submit the completed application to the office of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. To allow time for processing the student should submit the application at least 2 weeks prior to the start of semester.
- The student will be notified of the outcome of their application within 2 weeks of receipt, via letter to their university email account. The student is advised also to log in to MyUni and confirm the outcome of the application.
- Students can apply to exceed the junior credit point limits when the unit is a compulsory core unit for the degree or a student commenced study mid-year and was unable to commence language studies in their first semester.
- Students can apply to exceed the semester credit point limit of 30 if they are in their final semester and have a distinction average, with no recorded failing grades.
- Students can apply to exceed the overall credit point limit by 1 core unit of study if they are in their final semester and have not met the a core requirements of their award course.
Students can apply to exceed the overall credit point limit by 1 or 2 units of study if they are in their final semester and must exceed in order to meet the requirements for Honours entry.
Applications to exceed credit point limits will not be approved when the units of study can be taken simply by varying an enrolment.