Deferring your studies

Deferring your studies means that you have received an offer to enrol in a course but have been given permission by the institution to delay the start of your course for a fixed period, which is usually 6 months or 1 year.

You need to apply to defer your studies before you enrol in your course. Once you are enrolled in your course, if you wish to take leave it is called applying for a suspension or leave of absence and you are bound by a different set of rules.

Information on how to defer your studies, and all the relevant deadlines, will be included in your offer.

Read the University's FAQs about deferring here.

See also

Leave of Absense or Suspension

University Admissions Centre (UAC)

Deferring FAQs