International Exchange Program
Many degrees within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences offer the opportunity for exchange, and in the case of the Bachelor of Arts (Languages) exchange is an important feature of the degree. The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences encourages students to make full use of the benefits associated with the University International Exchange Program, which provides students with the opportunity to spend 1 or 2 semesters studying overseas at an approved partner university. Upon successful completion of the exchange the study is then credited towards their University of Sydney degree. Students pay their coursework fees locally, here in Sydney, but need to otherwise pay for flights, accommodation, living costs and learning materials (i.e. textbooks etc).
Students who wait until their final semester to take part in the International Exchange Program, could experience delays in their graduation and this could impact on their ability to apply for further study, such as Honours or Postgraduate Coursework. These delays occur when result submission at the host university is delayed, or doesn't meet University of Sydney deadlines. Students wishing to go on to further study should consider this when planning to go on exchange.
Applications forms, and information on how to apply for exchange can be found on the Exchange website. This site also contains information on how post exchange credit (the credit you receive from your studies whilst on exchange) is added to your degree here at Sydney University.
* Please note: Due to the accelerated nature of the Bachelor of Art (Advanced) (Honours) program, students electing to go on exchange in this degree are expected to go on exchange for no longer than one semester. Approval from the Degree Director will be required for exchanges longer than this.
As postgraduate coursework degrees are shorter than undergraduate degrees, there isn't a lot of room to include exchange and therefore there is currently no formal exchange program for Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences postgraduate students. There is the availability of international study in selected postgraduate coursework degrees. Please consult the resolutions of your degree in the Postgraduate handbook.
- Attend the Exchange information and application sessions. At these sessions you will receive an application kit, including forms for you to seek Faculty approval for exchange.
- After your exchange is approved you will then need to seek Academic Approval for the subjects you wish to take whilst on exchange. This is effectively getting departmental approval before you go on exchange to ensure the studies you take are of sufficient standard, and include relevant content in order to gain credit for your studies. This is done in consultation with the relevant Exchange Coordinator. Please keep copies of all Academic Approvals you receive for future reference.
- If you have already enrolled in subjects for the semester in which you wish to go on exchange you will need to submit an Enrolment Variation form advising us to withdraw you from the subjects you are enrolled in, and to enrol you in the relevant exchange units instead.
- All completed Academic Approvals, and your Enrolment Variation form, must be submitted together to the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Office. Remember that this should be done before the deadline to add subjects.
On your return from exchange you are required to submit a Post-Exchange Credit Transfer Form. If you have changed your subjects whilst at your host university, you will need to receive new academic approval from the relevant Departments and submit evidence of this, along with your Post-Exchange Credit Transfer Form to the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Office.
No credit transfer will take place until this form has been submitted to the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Office and credit will only be applied if the units taken have been approved by the relevant department and you have passed the subject.
The Post-Exchange Credit Transfer Form can be found on the Student Exchange forms page.