International Exchange Program
Exchange In Your Degree
Many courses within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences offer the opportunity for international exchange.
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences encourages you to make full use of the benefits associated with the University International Exchange Program, which provides you with the opportunity to spend 1 or 2 semesters studying overseas at an approved partner university. For your exchange semester, you pay your coursework fees locally, here in Sydney, but you will need to otherwise pay for flights, accommodation, living costs and learning materials (i.e. textbooks etc).
Upon successful completion of the exchange, your overseas study is then credited towards your University of Sydney course.
You will need to refer to the resolutions of your course in the appropriate handbook to see if exchange is permitted in your course.
- Attend the Exchange information and application sessions. At these sessions you will receive an application kit.
- You will need to submit the completed application kit to International Services by the application deadline.
- After your exchange is approved you will then need to seek Academic Approval for the subjects you wish to take whilst on exchange. You will need to submit completed Academic Approval forms.
- You will also need to provide detailed unit of study outlines for the units you wish to undertake at your host university. Once your request has been processed, you will be sent a confirmation email listing all units that have been approved. You will then be enrolled in shell exchange units that reflect that you are enrolled in your exchange semester.
- To allow time for processing your approvals, we recommend that you submit all required information as soon as possible upon receiving confirmation of your exchange. You must ensure that you have approvals and are enrolled in your exchange semester at the University of Sydney before you leave for your host university and before the deadline to add units at the University of Sydney.
- If you need to make changes to your approved units while you are overseas, you will need to send through the new unit of study outlines to the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences so the new units can be approved and your record updated.
Once your exchange semester is complete, the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences will receive your official transcript from International Services and apply the credit to your degree. All of your shell exchange units will reflect completion with a result of “R” for “Satisfied Requirements”.
Please ensure that you regularly check your university e-mail as we may require more information about your exchange semester before we can process your results.