Online Application System for Special Considerations, Special Arrangements and Simple Extensions
All applications for assistance for students experiencing difficulties in completing assessments are to be submitted online. The online system* has been designed to streamline the process for students and academic staff. Students should feel free to discuss their situation in person with relevant staff if they wish.
In circumstances where a student is unable to apply online, they should contact the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences by phone for advice and assistance, + 61 2 9351 6673.
* If you are making an application for Special Consideration for a Summer or Winter School unit, you will need to contact the Summer School directly;
* If you are making an application for Special Consideration for a unit of study taught in intensive mode (a unit that isn't run in the regular semester timeframe) you will need to submit a paper-based application to the Faculty.
Important Points to note about the Online System
- All communication to students related to this process will be sent to their UNIVERSITY EMAIL ADDRESS ONLY. Students should check their university email on a regular basis.
- The online system does not cover tutorial attendance. Students should discuss problems relating to attendance with their tutor or unit of study coordinator.
- Applications for Special Consideration can be submitted up to the time of the processing of results (mid July for first semester, late November for second semester), after this time students are advised to apply for a DNF (Discontinue Not Fail)
|Click here to enter the online application system or continue on to read a brief guide to the system.|
Student Guide to the Online System
Enter the system using your UniKey login. Note that the system will automatically download your enrolment details for the relevant Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences departments.
Select the ‘grounds for your application’. You must choose Illness, Misadventure or Special Commitment from the drop down menu.
- Illness can include any type or illness affecting your capacity to study ranging from a bout of flu to stress or related problems, or other serious illnesses.
- Misadventure can include shorter term difficulties associated with, for example, eviction from housing, motor accident, theft or the need to attend a funeral of a family member or close friend, or constraints associated with, for example, sole carer responsibilities.
- Special Commitment includes religious or major sporting commitments, duties relating to the birth or adoption of a child, obligations to attend legal proceedings, essential work commitments and Defence Force or emergency service commitments.
- If you are granted a Simple Extension you will receive an email with a new due date. Please attach the email to your assessment when you hand it in. Additional supporting documentation is not required.
- If your application is assessed for Special Consideration or Special Arrangements you will be asked to provide original supporting documentation to the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences student counter. Your application will not be processed until the supporting documentation has been received by the Faculty. If your supporting documentation is not received within 10 working days, your application will expire.
Examples of Supporting Documentation
|Grounds for Application||Acceptable Forms of Supporting Documentation|
|Death in the family/funeral||Copy of death notice in newspaper or copy of printed funeral service, along with a statutory declaration (download University of Sydney Statutory Declaration Form) and other relevant supporting documentation|
|Illness||Professional Practitioner Certificate (Faculty form to be completed by medical practitioner or counsellor) (click here to download form)|
|Misadventure||Professional Practitioner Certificate (Faculty form to be completed by medical practitioner or counsellor) (click here to download form), police report, statutory declaration (download University of Sydney Statutory Declaration Form) and other relevant supporting documentation|
|Special commitment||Religious Authority Certificate (Faculty form to be completed by religious authority) (click here to download the form), letter from sporting authority or employer or other body associated with the special commitment, statutory declaration (download University of Sydney Statutory Declaration Form)|
Please note that we cannot accept the following forms of documentation:
- medical certificates (unless accompanied with a Professional Practitioners Certificate)
- letters from relatives and other interested parties
- papers in a language other than English
- medical reports or results (unless accompanied with a Professional Practitioners Certificate).
After selecting the ‘grounds’ for your application you will then:
a. Indicate whether or not you are registered with Disability Services and if yes, whether your application is covered by the reasonable adjustment negotiated by Disability Services.
b. state the length of time your work has been or will be affected by selection from the drop down menu.
c. provide a brief description of the grounds for your application.
Select the assessment types covered by your application from the drop down menu
Select the units of study covered by your application. You will be given a list of the assessment types you have chosen and asked to enter further information for each unit of study involved.
Check the summary of your application and confirm the details. You will be asked to confirm each row. You can change details before submitting your application.
On-screen messages will assist you throughout the application and you will be sent further emails regarding the progress and outcome of your application.
|Click here to enter the new online application system.