Transfer Between Undergraduate Degrees
Please note: this page is for students wishing to transfer their undergraduate degrees. This information does not relate to postgraduate coursework study.
Steps to apply
Table of transfers - where to apply
Currently enrolled students in their first full time (or equivalent)* year of study may apply directly to the Faculty to transfer to a new award course when making an application to transfer in the following circumstance;
- From a combined award course to a single award course administered by the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- From a specialist degree (see guidelines for a list of courses) offered by the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences to a Bachelor of Arts
- From one combined Laws course to another combined Laws course
In all other cases, students who are seeking admission to an undergraduate course within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences will need to make an application through the Universities Admission Centre (UAC) in the case of local students or through The University of Sydney’s International Office in the case of International Students.
Students who apply to UAC after completing 48 credit points of study should note that their ATAR (Australian Tertiary Admission Rank) might have changed as a result of the marks that they have achieved during their studies at University.
Please note: Students wishing to transfer from the combined Bachelor of Education (Secondary: Humanities and Social Sciences) and Bachelor of Arts and Social Sciences will need to wait until the end of their second year (or equivalent) before applying to transfer.
Please read the Faculty guidelines for information on transfers, including applying to transfer existing credit. The guidelines can be downloaded from the Forms and documents section, in the top right hand corner of this page.
- A student submits an application to transfer between undergraduate award courses by the appropriate deadline. The deadlines can be found on our Important dates web page.
- Students must also complete an 'Internal Credit application' at the same time as the application to transfer.
PLEASE NOTE: Credit will not be granted for units that do not fit within the resolutions of your new degree or award course.
Example 1: students moving from a combined Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws degree to a single Bachelor of Arts degree are unable to transfer credit for the Law units of study.
Example 2: students changing their degree from Bachelor of International and Global Studies to a Bachelor of Arts will not be able to take the core (INGS) International and Global Studies units of study and any International Business units to their new degree.
This table explains which degree transfer requests can be processed internally, and which requests require a new application through UAC.
You can also view this table as a pdf document