Bachelor of Social Sciences
There is no new intake for this degree.
4 years full-time
5 years full-time with Honours
The Bachelor of Social Sciences is a four year multidisciplinary degree that gives students the flexibility and freedom to choose between a large number of subject majors.
The Bachelor of Social Sciences provides students with focused professional training in the social sciences through its combination of a major in the Humanities and another in the Social Sciences plus an internship program and core units of study.
View a sample degree pathway or map
- 192 credit points including
- No more than 72 junior credit points
- 6 junior credit points of MATH* and
- 58 credit points core units of study and
- At least 120 senior of intermediate credit points which must include
- At least one Social Sciences major and
- A Humanites major from Table A of the Table of Units of Study
* The units of study required are MATH1005 OR MATH1015
Core Units of Study
- MATH1015 Biostatistics OR MATH1005 Statistics
- SSCI2601 Social, Political and Economic Thought 1
- SSCI2602 Social, Political and Economic Thought 2
- SCLG2602 Social Inquiry: Qualitative Methods
- SCLG3602 Sociological Theory and Practice
- SSCI3601 Social Sciences Internship
- SSCI3602 Internship Research Paper
Please note : SSCI2601 and SSCI2602 will not be offered after 2009. SSCI3601 and SSCI3602 will not be offered after 2011. Please contact staff with any questions.
Bachelor of Social Science students participate in the Internship program in their third or fourth year.
The Internship program comprises two core units (totalling 24 credit points) and is designed to give students:
- an understanding of the institutional contexts in which research in the social sciences are practised
- work experience using the skills gained in the degree in a professional setting
- practical research skills development through the Internship Placement and Research Paper
For further information please click on the following :
- Frequently Asked Questions for Students
- Frequently Asked Questions for Organisations
- Student Case Studies
- How your Internship will be Assessed
Ms Claire Havey
+61 2 9036 9520
243C Transient Bldg. F12
Social Sciences Major
To earn a major, students will complete 36 senior credit points in that subject area. Remember that you may need to have the appropriate junior (1XXX) prerequisites in place before you can do these senior units of study.
|Subject Areas for a Social Sciences Major|
and a second major chosen from the following Humanities subject areas :
|Humanities Subject Areas|
There are many ways to structure your degree. Below we’ve given you just one example:
|First Year||S1||Humanities Major Junior Unit||Social Sciences Major Junior Unit||MATH1015 OR MATH1005||SSCI1003 Exploring the Social Sciences||24|
|S2||Humanities Major Junior Unit||Social Sciences Major Junior Unit||Art (Table A or B) Junior Unit Choice||Arts (Table A or B) Junior Unit Choice||24|
|Second Year||S1||Humanities Major Senior Unit||Social Sciences Major Senior Unit||Social Sciences Major Senior Unit||SSCI2601 Social Political and Economic Thought 1||24|
|S2||Humanities Major Senior Unit||Social Sciences Major Senior Unit||SCLG2602 Social Inquiry: Research Methods||SSCI2602 Social Political and Economic Thought 2||24|
|Third Year||S1||Humanities Major Senior Unit||Social Sciences Major Senior Unit||Social Sciences Major Senior Unit||Arts (Table A or B) Junior/Senior Unit Choice||24|
|S2||Humanities Major Senior Unit||Social Sciences Major Senior Unit||Arts (Table A or B) Junior/Senior Unit Choice||SCLG3602 Sociological Theory and Practice||24|
|Year Four||S1||SSCI3601 Social Sciences Internship (12 CP)||SSCI3602 Internship Research Paper (12 CP)||24|
|S2||Humanities Major Senior Unit||Humanities Major Senior Unit||Arts (Table A or B) Junior/Senior Unit Choice||Arts (Table A or B) Junior/Senior Unit Choice||24|
Dr Jennifer Wilkinson
+61 2 9036 9481
R.C Mills Building A26
© 2002- 13 The University of Sydney. Last updated: 01 May 2012
ABN: 15 211 513 464. CRICOS number: 00026A. Phone: +61 2 9351 2222.
Authorised by: Dean, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.