Professor Garry Barrett
BEc (Hons) Sydney, MA UBC, PhD, UBC
H04 - Merewether Building
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9036 7869|
|Fax||+61 2 9351 4341|
|Curriculum vitae||Curriculum vitae|
Garry Barrett completed his BEc (Hons) at the University of Sydney, and his MA and PhD at the University of British Columbia. Garry's main areas of research are labour economics, public economics and microeconometrics. Garry's research has focused on measuring economic inequality and poverty; applying consumption based measures of wellbeing; examining participation in income support programs and, more recently, analyzing the determinants of retirement behaviour and household saving. His work has been published in journals such as Econometrica,Journal of Public Economics, Review of Economics and Statistics, Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, Econometrics Journal, Review of Income and Wealth, Canadian Journal of Economics and The Economic Record.
- Labour economics
- Welfare Economics
- Public Policy
Major Fields: Labour Economics, Public Economics, Econometrics
Specific Fields: Human capital, Wages and employment, Inequality and poverty
Editorial Board Membership
- Editor, Economic Record.
- Editorial Board, Canadian Journal of Economics
- Editorial Board, Australian Journal of Labour Economics
- Econometric Society
- Economic Society of Australia
- Canadian Economics Association
- Society of Labor Economists
K.Atalay, G. Barrett (2013) "The Impact of Age Pension Eligibility Age on Retirement and Program Dependence: Evidence from an Australian Experiment", Review of Economics and Statistics, forthcoming.
Barrett, G.F., Levell, P., and Milligan, K., (2013) "A comparison of micro and macro expenditure measures across countries using different survey methods" in C.Carroll, T. Crossley and J. Sabelhaus (eds), Improving the Measurement of Consumer Expenditures, National Bureau of Economic Research and University of Chicago Press. Forthcoming.
- Family Responses to Economic Shocks and Policy Reforms over the Life Cycle; Barrett G, Atalay K, Edwards R, Fisher H, Blundell R, Low H; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Projects (DP).
- The relationship between intergenerational transfers, housing and economic outcomes; Whelan S, Barrett G, Cigdem M, Wood G; Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute Ltd/National Housing Research Program.
- House prices, mortgage debt and labour supply:evidence from Australian households; Atalay K, Edwards R, Barrett G; Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute Ltd/National Housing Research Program.
- Human Capital, Cognitive Skills and Labour Market Outcomes; Barrett G, Harmon C, Whelan S, Coelli M, Hanushek E, Riddell W, Donald S; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Projects (DP).
- The Future of Aircraft Maintenance in Australia: Workforce Capability, Aviation Safety and Industry Development; Quinlan G, Williamson A, Barrett G, Junor A, Hampson I, Van Voorthuysen E, Gregson S; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Understanding the Saving Behaviour of Australian Households: Private Retirement Provision and the Policy of Forced Saving; Barrett G, Tseng Y, Crossley T; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Projects (DP).
- Robust Empirical Analysis of Consumption Poverty in Australia; Barrett G; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Projects (DP).
- The Labour Supply and Saving of Older Australians: Behavioural Responses and Economic Impacts; Barrett G, Piggott J, Woodland A; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Robust Empirical Analysis of Inequality and Poverty in Australia; Barrett G; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Projects (DP).