Associate Professor David G Brooks
BA A.N.U. MA PhD Tor.
- Australian Literary Studies
- A study and (with J.A. Scott and G. Halligan) translation of the works of Adoré Floupette and their relation to the Ern Malley Hoax.
- Re-reading Australia Poetry: new light on canonical Australian poems.
- An examination of the origins of modernism in New Guinea, the Trobriand Islands, and the Great Western Desert.
- The Cold Front (poetry). Sydney: Hale and Iremonger, 1983.
- (edited with B. Walker)Poetry and Gender. St. Lucia: Univ. of Queensland Press, 1989.
- The Book of Sei and Other Stories. Sydney: Hale and Iremonger, 1985.
- The Book of Sei. London: Faber and Faber, 1987.
- Sheep and the Diva (stories). Melbourne: McPhee Gribble, 1990.
- The Necessary Jungle: Literature and Excess (essays). Melbourne: McPhee Gribble, 1990.
- ed. A.D. Hope: Selected Poems. Sydney: HarperCollins/A and R, 1991.
- ed. Suddenly Evening: Selected Poems of R.F. Brissenden. Melbourne: McPhee Gribble, 1991.
- The House of Balthus (fiction). Sydney: Allen and Unwin, 1995.
- Black Sea (short fiction). Sydney: Allen and Unwin (in press).
- ed. The Double Looking Glass: New and Classic Essays on the Poetry of A. D. Hope. St Lucia: Univ. of Queensland Press, 2000.
- ed. Selected Poetry and Prose of A. D. Hope. Sydney: Halstead Press, 2000.
- De/scription (essay). Sydney: Vagabond Press, 2000.
- Walking to Point Clear (poetry). Blackheath: Brandle and Schlesinger, 2005.
- Urban Elegies (poetry). Sydney: Island Press, 2006.
- The Fern Tattoo (novel). St Lucia: University of Queensland Press, 2007.
- The Balcony (poetry). St Lucia: University of Queensland Press, 2008.
- The Golden Boat: Selected Poems of Srecko Kosovel (translation, with Bert Pribac). Cambridge: Salt Publishing, 2008.
- The Umbrella Club (novel). St Lucia: University of Queensland Press, 2009.
- The Sons of Clovis: The Works and Untold Lives of Ern Malley and Adore Floupette. St Lucia: University of Queensland Press (2011).
- "Modernism" (essay), in Kelsall et al eds., Encyclopedia of Literature and Criticism. London: Routledge, pp. 119-30. 1990.
- "The French Connection: Australian Poetry and the Symbolistes," in Security of Allusion: Essays in Honour of A.D. Hope. Canberra: Phoenix Review, 83-100. 1991.
- "Feral Symbolists: Robert Adamson, John Tranter, and the Response to Rimbaud," Australian Literary Studies 16/3: 280-88. 1994.
- "The Wheel, the Mirror and the Tower: Desire in the Writings of Dorothy Hewett," in B. Bennett ed., Dorothy Hewett: Selected Critical Essays. Fremantle: Fremantle Arts Centre Press, pp. 180-201. 1995.
- "Scheherezade - the Search for Story: Recent Australian Fiction Set in China and Southeast Asia", Southerly 59.3/4, 1999.
- "A. D. Hope and the Symbolistes", in Australian Divagations: Mallarme and the 20th Century. Jill Anderson ed. New York: Peter Lang, 2002.
- "The Jewelled Box: Translating Mallarmes 'Sonnet en Yx'", Southerly 63.1. 2003.
- "Napoleon's Roads", The Kenyon Review 25.3/4. 2003.
- "Poetry and Dismemberment", The Chautaugau Review 1.1. 2004.
- "The Australian Line", [Agenda 41.1/2. 2005.
- "The Literary Hoax", Dictionnaire International des Terms Litteraires, 2005: http://www.ditl.info/arttest/art7390.php
- "Strange Happenings at 'The Creek of the Four Graves': Charles Harpur and the Warp", Southerly 67.1/2 (2007).
- "The Smoking Vegetarian", Angelaki: Journal of Theoretical Humanities 14.2 (2009).
- "Hammial's Inferno", Southerly 69.3 (2009).
- "Ambiguity, the Literary, and Close Reading", CLC Web: Comparative Literature and Culture 12.4 (2010).
- "Outcast of the Islands: Malinowski Amongst the Modernists", Southerly 72.3 (2012).
- "The Fallacies: Theory, Saturation Capitalism, and the Animal", Southerly 73.2 (2013).