Step 2: Applying for Credit

I would like to seek credit for previous university studies

If you are expecting to receive credit for previous postgraduate study completed at this or another university, you still need to attend your enrolment day in order to confirm your position. This means when you enrol you’ll need to choose units of study as though credit has not been granted. For example; if you have completed units of study that match units that you could take as part of your graduate certificate, graduate diploma or masters course, you should still enrol in these units. As soon as you’ve enrolled, submit your credit application and assuming the credit is granted we can work with you to vary your enrolment accordingly.

You can use our credit check tool to see if any of the units you have previously studied have been assessed by us before. Note that this site is an indication only and does not guarantee the granting of credit

When making an application for credit please note; there may be restrictions on what units can be credited to your new course, and the amount of credit that may be transferred. This will depend on the resolutions or rules of your new course so think about what you want to apply for and consider the following:

  • Does the credit I am applying for fit within the resolutions of my course and the resolutions of the Faculty (this includes the subject area, the number of credit points etc)?
  • Will there be room in my course, after credit is applied, to complete the compulsory components of my degree?

When should I apply for credit?

We strongly advise that you bring your completed application for credit form with you to enrolment day. If you are unsure of how to complete your form, help will be available for you at enrolment. If you are not able to submit an application for credit on enrolment day you will need to submit your application as soon as possible after enrolling and prior to the start of first semester so that we have time to assess your application properly.

If your credit application is successful and you receive credit we will contact you via your university email address about how to vary your enrolment.

All the information that you need for making your application can be found in our Student Administration Manual.

I am applying for credit for studies taken previously at The University of Sydney

Even if you have already completed Arts and Social Sciences units of study in this Faculty; we will not automatically transfer these units to your new course. Your new course will have new rules and sometimes not all of the units of study fit and sometimes students want to make new choices. You can hand in your completed Application for Credit form and receive further help and advice at enrolment day.

I am applying for credit for studies taken at another university (external credit), how do I apply?

All the information that you need for making your application can be found in our Student Administration Manual.

Students enrolling into a Graduate Diploma of Economics or a Master of Economics

If you have previously studied Economics in another course you may be eligible to waive the foundational units required for a Graduate Diploma or Masters in Economics. Waivers will not reduce the total number of units required to complete your course, instead it will allow you to enter into more advanced areas of study, bypassing the need to repeat material you have already studied. For further information, please contact the