Staff Research Interests
Dr Bruce Isaacs
- Film Aesthetics: the legitimacy of ‘Film Style’
- Realism and Spectacle
- American Cinema: Classical Hollywood/Hollywood Renaissance (late 60s to Coppola’s Apocalypse Now, 1979) / Hollywood High Concept Cinema
- Auteur Theory, Independence, New Aesthetic Sensibilities
- Digital Cinema and Aesthetics: ‘Future Cinema’
- Film Production Practice – with a focus on screenwriting as a literary and cinematic form
- I am in the process of developing a monograph-length work on digital cinema aesthetics and practices entitled ‘The Orientation of Future Cinema’.
- Screenwriting and the ‘cinematicality’ of a literary form
Dr Laleen Jayamanne
- Cross-cultural film criticism
- Feminist film theory
- Cinema of Kumar Shahani
- Deleuzean film theory
Dr Richard Smith
- "The Digital Apparatus" is a research project that will test a range of methodologies for thinking through the relation between technology and thought in film production, criticism and theory. It is particularly interested in the idealist-materialist tussle within general theories of film.
- The Go Concept. Richard Smith is co-author of a documentary about sophistication. Seeking AFC O Strand funding of 20,000. Script submitted March 2005. AFC decides on successful applicants in May 2005.