Dr Laleen Jayamanne
BA University of Ceylon
MA New York University
PhD University of NSW
Phone: +61 2 9351 4084
Address: Room 308, A26 - R.C. Mills
Recipient of ARC Discovery grant 2005-2007 inclusive for research project 'Cinema and the Senses:Temporality of the Films of Stanley Kubrick, Terrence Malick and Kumar Shahani.'
- Cross-cultural film criticism
- Feminist film theory
- Cinema of Kumar Shahani
- Deleuzean film theory
- [Books]: Towards Cinema and its Double: Cross-cultural Mimesis, 2001 Indiana University Press, US.
- [Edited Books]: The Filmmaker and the Prostitute: Dennis O'Rourke's The Good Woman of Bangkok, co-editor, 1997 Power Publications, Sydney.
- [Edited Books]: Kiss Me Deadly:Feminism and Cinema for the Moment, Sydney, 1995 Power Publications, Sydney.
- [Chapters in Books]: "Let's Miscegenate:Jackie Chan and his African American Connection", in Hong Kong Connections:Transnational Imagination in Action Cinema,,eds. Meaghan Morris, Li-siu-leung, Steohen Chan. Hong Kong University Press (In Press).
- [Chapters in Books]: "Forty Acres and a Mule Filmworks" -- DO THE RIGHT THING -- "A Spike Lee joint": Blocking and Unblocking the Block, ed. Patricia Pisters,Micropolitics of Media Culture: Reading the Rhizomes of Deleuze and Guattari, 2001 Amsterdam University Press, Amsterdam.
- [Chapters in Books]: A Slapstick Time: mimetic convulsion, convulsive knowing," eds. Lesley Stern and George Kouvaros, Falling For You: Essays on Cinema and Performance, 1999 Power Publications, Sydney.
- [Chapters in Books]: "Stories within Stories" in Foreign Dialogues: Memories, Translations, Conversations,ed. Mary Zournazi,Pluto Press, 1998
- [Chapters in Books]: Life is a dream, Raul Ruiz was a Surrealist in Sydney: a capillary memory of a cultural event, ed. L. Jayamanne, Kiss Me Deadly: Feminism and Cinema for the Moment, 1995 Power Publications, Sydney.
- [Chapters in Books]: Speaking of "Ceylon", a clash of cultures", eds. Jim Pines and Paul Willemen, Questions of Third Cinema, 1989 BFI, London.
- [Refereed Journal Articles]: "Pursuing Micromovements in Room 202", SIGNS, Journal of Women in Culture and Society, Chicago University, Special Issue on Recent Approaches to Film Feminisms, 30/1, Autumn 2004
- [Refereed Journal Articles]:"Post ethnicity": Hung up on the telephone, not on ethnicity, notes on three short films by Pauline Chan 1995 Communal Plural no. 4.
- [Refereed Journal Articles]:Unthinking multiculturalism, a review of Unthinking Eurocentrism: Multiculturalism and the Media by Ella Shohat and Robert Stam, 1995 Routledge, in UTS Review 1/2.
- [Refereed journal Articles]: Passionate Anachronist a review of The Passion of Pier Paolo Pasolini, by Sam Rohdie, 1995 BFI and Indiana University Press, in UTS Review 2/2.
- [Catalogue Essays]:Above and Beyond One's Cultural Heritage: Jackie Chan and his Drunken Master, 1996 Institute of Modern Art, Brisbane.
- [On-line Journal]: "The Ornamentation of Nicole Kidman in Stanley Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut and Mita Vashisht" Senses of Cinema, 23, Nov-Dec, 2002, Special Issue on Women and Film.
- [Refereed conference paper]: "Let's Miscegenate:Jackie Chan and his African American Connection", at the Symposium on "Transnational Imagination in Action Cinema". Lingnan University, Hong Kong January 2003.
- Films: A Song of Ceylon(1985), 16mm and Super8
- Films: Rehearsing (1987).
- Films: Row, Row, Row Your Boat(1991), video.
- Films: LAMA,(1995), video.