Information for Domestic Applicants
Domestic applicants, including Australian citizens, permanent residents, New Zealand citizens, and holders of a permanent humanitarian visa, should contact the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences office for information about the application and admission procedure.
Online applications are now available for all Postgraduate Research degrees in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences by searching for your course on the University’s ‘Find a course’ website, then click on the ‘Apply now’ icon to proceed with your application.
Your application must include:
- a complete online application form
- an original or certified copy of the official transcript of your academic record. Graduates of the University of Sydney need not attach an academic transcript of their local enrolment
- a research proposal of approximately 1000 words (applicants should consult the postgraduate coordinator in the appropriate department to confirm any department-specific requirements for proposals)
- all other requested documents
- proof of Australian citizenship or permanent residency status, i.e. birth certificate or passport (local applicants only)
- references from at least two academics who are familiar with your studies and are qualified to comment on your previous academic achievements and your capacity to undertake a research degree.
Applications must have all required documentation before it can be accepted by the University of Sydney.
What is a certified copy?
A certified copy is a photocopy that has been declared by a Justice of the Peace (JP), a solicitor, or a Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences staff member to be an exact copy of the original.
Please note that original transcripts will not be returned if sent or submitted to the faculty.
All research applicants must submit a research proposal with their application form. Advice and assistance on proposals is available from The University of Sydney's Learning Centre which also produced the guide to Writing a Thesis Proposal. You should also talk to the department's postgraduate research student coordinator, as some departments have specific requirements.
Offers for admission will be sent to successful applicants. If you receive an offer, you must advise the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences office in writing of your intention to accept the place by the date specified in your letter.
It is not possible to defer acceptance or commencement to a later semester or year. If you are unable to commence in the semester indicated in the letter of offer, you must reapply for admission for a different semester/year on the official University application form.
If you are a commencing student who has received an offer for a postgraduate research degree you can now enrol online.
To find out more, visit sydney.edu.au/enrol
Information for International Applicants
If you are an international applicant, you must apply through the International Office. Further information on applications and English language requirements and support services for international students is available on the International Office Website.