Recent and Non Recent School Leavers

Domestic Students

If you are completing Year 12 in Australia, you need to apply through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC). The faculty may also offer a limited number of places for second-semester commencement, for which UAC operates a separate application process.

Who should apply through UAC?

You can apply through UAC if you are an Australian citizen, a New Zealand citizen, or a permanent resident of Australia (including a holder of an Australian permanent resident humanitarian visa). When you apply through UAC you apply as either a Year 12 applicant or a non-Year 12 applicant.

International students

If you are international student and would like to apply for an undergraduate degree in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, visit University's Future Students page to find out how.

Year 12 applicants

You are a Year 12 applicant if you:

  • are attempting an International Baccalaureate (IB) in Australia in 2014

† An Australian Year 12 qualification in 2014 includes:

  • one or more courses in the 2014 NSW HSC
  • one or more courses in the 2014 ACT Year 12
  • a 2014 Year 12 in the Northern Territory, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria, Western Australia or Queensland.

Non-Year 12 applicants

You are a non-Year 12 applicant if you:

  • are not attempting an Australian Year 12 qualification in 2014 or an International Baccalaureate (IB) in Australia in 2013 or
  • are attempting a Queensland Year 12 in 2014 as an external student or
  • are attempting a New Zealand National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA) Level 3 in 2014 or
  • received an offer through UAC last year and were granted deferment.

Special admission

The Special Consideration for Admission Scheme is aimed at applicants with a record of tertiary study who have experienced some form of disadvantage during their secondary and/or tertiary studies.

An applicant who is approved under this scheme may be admitted into their course of choice with results below, but close to, the normal entry standard for that course. To find out if you’re eligible to apply, visit the Special Consideration for Admission Scheme website.

Flexible entry

If you are a local school-leaver and your Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) is within five points of the cut-off, you may also be considered for a Flexible Entry place on the basis of additional criteria such as your HSC performance in subjects relevant to your UAC preferences. For 2015, the Flexible Entry scheme may offer places in the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications), Bachelor of Arts (Languages), Bachelor of Economics, Bachelor of Political, Economic and Social Sciences, Bachelor of International and Global Studies and Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Social Work.

Consult the UAC Guide or the University website at the time of your UAC application for full details:

Admission requirements

If you are entering through Flexible Entry or one of the Special Admissions schemes you may gain entry with a ATAR up to five points below these cut-offs. Because cut-offs do vary from year to year, these figures should be used as a guide only for future years.

If you are an international student, visit the University's Future Students website for relevant academic and English language requirements and fee information.

Course costs

Domestic students

If you are an Australian citizen or a holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa, you can pay the student contribution to the cost of your course in three different ways:

  • pay the contribution upfront with a discount
  • receive a HECS-HELP loan for all of the amount
  • pay some upfront and receive a HECS-HELP loan for the balance.

Please note that New Zealand citizens and holders of an Australian permanent resident visa (other than an Australian humanitarian visa) do not have access to HECS-HELP loans and must pay the student contribution upfront without a discount.

You can find out more about course costs and payment options at

International students

Unless you are in receipt of a scholarship, international students must pay full tuition fees. Information about fees is available from the University's Future Students Costs and Fees webpage.